Raising Questions on the Cinmar Blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Stone Sweet View Post
    ... It is my understanding that the formalities of accession to the museum followed a period whereat the blade had been on loan informally, at the older building, prior to the new building's completion.

Apparently the artifact was loaned prior to the new building being completed, yes?

No... not according to Jean Tanner. What she says is this:

“These objects [the blade, tooth and tusk] were received by Bob Traft who was working in the Museum that day [30th June 2001]. They came in a wooden case…… Bob had not met Parker before that day, I phoned Parker to acknowledge the loan and to get an address to send an acquisition form [she supplies a copy which confirms that]. I didn’t get to meet Parker until much later.”

She reinforces what she says with:

“Dean Parker kept them in his possession until June 30, 2001 when he placed them on loan to the museum.”

She also excludes any possibility that Shawn loaned the blade at an earlier time, before he sold it to Parker. In fact she says:

“I never met or knew Thurston Shawn and therefore had never spoken to the man.”

So, neither the Director of the museum (Tanner) nor her co-worker (Traft) had any knowledge of the Cinmar blade, nor any contact with the donor (Parker) until 30th June 2001 and Tanner never had any contact at all with the original finder (Shawn).

Any belief that the blade had languished unnoticed in the museum for 20-odd years is false. Around 7 years at most, from 2001 until 2008.

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I just spoke with jean tanner--I am mistaken. My apologies for disagreeing without foundation. I've known Jean and Bob like for-ever... I had mistakenly thought the exhibit was in the civic building. I was there the day exhibits were moved from civic building to new museum. I lived on the island then, in the upstairs suite of the Florio's apt building at tin can alley. I am afraid I got a bit muddled. Again, my apologies\

Comment

Working...
      X