Oldest human footprints in North America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest human footprints in North America

Inspired by Painshills post in "international artifacts" where he has shown a very cool story of a highly rare discovery in the UK......rare for the world actually. Humanoid footprints are extremely rare, with only a few dozen world wide being found from what I've read. The UK footprints date some 800,000 years ago.....can you imagine that?....I can't!
    This article and discovery got me to thinking if there are any human footprints found in our back yard....North America...and the answer to that is a yes according to a google search. I've provided two links, the first dated 2013 with a claim of the oldest footprints on the continent, dated 10,500 years ago.......not even close to the age of Europe but still very cool for a more local look at our history.
    The second link, dated June of 2015 reveals yet another discovery of North American footprints but the jury is still out on the actual age......anywhere from 2000 YBP out to 13,200 year BP which would make them the oldest in North America. Either way, exciting discoveries and I just thought it would be cool to look up. The two articles are failly short and cool to read.
    Thanks for the inspiration Roger!!

Ancient coastal dwellers made tracks just below the tide line of an island off British Columbia, but the big question is when
    Southern Connecticut

some good reading there
    thanks for posting it

that is so cool

Comment

Fascinating Chris. I love this stuff.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Originally posted by painshill View Post
        Fascinating Chris. I love this stuff.
        Absolutely!! Thanks
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

How cool is that! Thanks, Chris.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks Chris, I am surprised that there are ancient man footprints found in America.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Great links Chris. Thank you for those.
              I always though that it took far longer that 10,000 years to turn mud into stone though?
              Bruce
              In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
                Great links Chris. Thank you for those.
                I always though that it took far longer that 10,000 years to turn mud into stone though?
                I think the clue for what happened there comes from the sediments being described as "mineral-rich" which I would guess means calcium and/or magnesium. A decent layer of calcium-cemented mudstone can form in as little as 50 years if the water percolating through it is calcium-rich. If you think about the way that stalactites and stalagmites form, the mineral-rich water can deposit something hard and insoluble at rates up to an inch a year.

Sadly, that's also why the Happisburgh footprints didn't survive more than a couple of weeks after they were exposed. Not enough calcium to have cemented the sediments into something resistant to the tide washing over them.
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
                X