President to return Native American name to Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President to return Native American name to Mountain

President Obama will return the Athabascan name "DENALI" to Mount McKinley in Alaska. personally I like Denali much better and one often sees it referred to as Denali in many places...

\"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..\" ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

It's very nice of Obama to do that.

Comment

Good
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

The problem with defending the name Redskins is that not all Native Americans find it offensive. Some embrace the name as a part of their heritage. Just ask them, Rick Reilly writes.

Comment

further research shows that the Alaska Sate Government officially changed the name back to DENALI in 1975. this is merely the Federal Government recognizing Alaska's 40 year old decision. Most folks in Alaska call it Denali. the Indigenous Peoples have called it Denali for 1000's of years.
          This has Nothing to do with Race or offending anyone, it is very simply returning the Original Name to the Mountain...
          Last edited by Flyjunkie; 08-31-2015, 01:35 PM.

Comment

The only NA language I've ever heard spoken by a native speaker of it is Susquehannock, so this might not be generally so. But if that was the way you wanted to go, no river or landform name in central Pennsylvania would be pronounceable by anyone who hadn't learned to create the unbelievable throat sounds they do from infancy.

Comment

For some reason, The X Files decided Mulder's mother lived in Quonochontaug, RI. Translates as "at the long pond". It's a large salt pond with a barrier beach.
              Always loved the name.

amateur, try this on for size. Name of a lake in Ma.

Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg

Webster, Mass, is known for sprawling lake with even more sprawling name, Lake Cha rgoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg; it is longest geographical name in US, and Nipmuck Indian word meaning fishing place at boundary or neutral meeting ground; Ethel Merman and Ray Bolger made it name you could dance to in old tune called 'The Lake Song'; people in region refer to 45-letter lake as Webster Lake; it was once home to sprinkling of summer cottages, but now has about 800 homes on its shores; map; photos (M)
              Last edited by CMD; 08-31-2015, 12:48 PM.
              Rhode Island

Comment

Originally posted by amateur View Post
                The only NA language I've ever heard spoken by a native speaker of it is Susquehannock, so this might not be generally so. But if that was the way you wanted to go, no river or landform name in central Pennsylvania would be pronounceable by anyone who hadn't learned to create the unbelievable throat sounds they do from infancy.
                Relax .. this is One Mountain having it's name changed. Not everything ... Cities change their names here in Southern California often, people don't start freaking out about it. Plenty of Towns and Cities across America have had name changes over the years - it's No Big Deal.

Comment

Amatuer, you've taken this topic in a really right sided conversation, this is a family forum and is no place for your personnal politics, i just flagged the heck outta you!
                  call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Agree with OnewithwilD, absolutely no reason to present your objection in such a manner on a public family oriented forum. A PM sure, your own personal blog ( why there's an idea!) yeah. Here, no.
                    Behave yourself.

Comment

Our President did it right this time. When I visited Alaska in the 80s everyone called it Denali.
                      Michigan Yooper
                      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Just incase you missed my comment to your post! "Well I am highly offended Amateur It is not what you say but how you said it. Your Q and A are a little over the top here. I can understand the point you are trying to make without the Q ans A I am actually a Italian German and Irish , and the Italian part is from Southern Italy so there may even be some Moorish blood lines there way back when. On the other hand I was raised Episcopalian. My Birth Certificate says White. Does that mean I am one of the WASP's too? Is there a way you can clean that up a little so we do not start world war three in here. I do not use the N word personally nor do I use any of the other derogatory terms you site in your comment. I feel it is all akin to hate speech. No matter who says it no matter what context. It is simply hate speech! There is really no room for that here. I am sure that someone as verbose as yourself could come up with other words to show your disappointment with this mountains name change."
                        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Well, maybe all the McKinley fans can relax. If elected, The Donald just announced the mountain will be called Mt. McKinley. And that's that. He will change the name back.
                          The Donald has spoken:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donal...ry?id=33452776

Last edited by CMD; 09-01-2015, 10:52 AM.
                          Rhode Island

Comment

Never mind was going to make a comment but this is not a political forum so I'll reserve my opinion for other formats/forums.

Comment

Just an FYI We banned amateur last evening. His comments warranted this. There is no room in our forum for hate speech.
                              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                              X