Ancient Walnut Forests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient Walnut Forests

the first "Forestry Project" in Human History???
    \"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..\" ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

That's very interesting research. You never know what you're going to learn. Thanks for posting.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Hey Dean, That's an interesting piece of research. Do you know if these walnut forests are like the English walnut or like our black walnut?
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Thanks for the link Dean. Great read.
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
          Hey Dean, That's an interesting piece of research. Do you know if these walnut forests are like the English walnut or like our black walnut?

I am not much of a Botanist Ron, But I'd guess English Walnuts are probably more like the Persian Walnut. seeing as they are close to one another , as compared to our Black Walnut... But honestly i really don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyjunkie View Post

I am not much of a Botanist Ron, But I'd guess English Walnuts are probably more like the Persian Walnut. seeing as they are close to one another , as compared to our Black Walnut... But honestly i really don't know.
            The Persian walnut (Juglans regia) was indigenous to Asia, with a spread from China to eastern Europe, but didn’t reach England until early Roman times and then onward to America in the 17th Century via English colonists. For that reason, it’s also known as the English walnut in America… but it’s the same species. Over here we just know it as the “common walnut”.

The main indigenous species in North America prior to colonisation was the eastern black walnut (Juglans nigra) and its probable regional subspecies the California black walnut (Juglans californica) and the Arizona walnut (Juglans hindsii or Juglans major). Those never really caught on over here (except ornamentally and for quality furniture) because the shell is harder and closely bound to the meat, making them a lot more difficult to hull.

Juglans nigra makes a better root stock in warmer/drier climates, so Juglans regia was sometimes grafted onto it for commercial production.

Eastern America and southeast Canada also have the white walnut (Juglans cinerea), sometimes known as the butternut tree.

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thank You Painshill.. learned something I didn't know before, Thank you kindly....

Comment

Working...
              X