New Species of Hominin found in South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Species of Hominin found in South Africa

A (claimed) new species of Hominin (Homo naledi) has been discovered in South Africa. The species' primitive anatomy, small stature and small brain size suggest that it evolved near or at the beginning of the genus Homo, and existed 2.5 million to 2.8 million years ago… but more evidence and precise dating is needed to confirm this. Some sources are saying that the fossils could be anywhere between 2 million and 20,000 years old, but the cave in which the bones were found is geologically no older than 3 million years.

Skeletal analysis suggests Homo naledi stood upright and was fully bipedal but the shoulders are suggestive of “tree-swinging” behaviour. Its hip mechanics are similar to australopithecines, but its feet and ankles are more similar to the genus Homo. The teeth and mandible musculature are much smaller than those of most australopithecines, suggesting a diet that did not require heavy mastication. The hands appear to be better adapted for manipulation of items than those of australopithicines. All in all, assignment to Homo looks more probable than assignment to Australopithecus.

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

That was an interesting article. I would be interested in reading about the outcome. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

Six skinny ladies and the inside story....

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...ominin/404362/
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Lady Cavers.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	173166

Photo by John Hawks
      Rhode Island

Comment

A just released film about the discovery on NOVA - Dawn of Humanity

Deep in a South African cave, an astounding discovery reveals clues to what made us human.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

Now on YouTube as well

[YT]
        8vVhDn5g_3U[/YT]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

A new hominin species found in a South African cave is part of one of the most unusual hominin fossil assemblages on record.

http://elifesciences.org/content/4/e09560
        Last edited by Olden; 09-24-2015, 06:18 AM.
        If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

I saw this on the news this evening Roger, thank you very much for the post. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_123.gif
Views:	131
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	173198
          What I would like to know is how did Professor Lee Berger get into the chamber if they required 6 tiny ladies to do the excavation?
          And Charlie I wish that all articles were bot as entertaining to read and as full of information as the one in the link that you posted. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_148.gif
Views:	123
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	173197
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
            ... What I would like to know is how did Professor Lee Berger get into the chamber if they required 6 tiny ladies to do the excavation?[ATTACH=CONFIG]n173197[/ATTACH]
            Professor Berger has certainly explored the Rising Star Cave network, but had to direct this particular piece of work from outside the chamber where the bones were found. He’s a well-built guy and couldn’t get through the access point himself.

The chamber is situated down a narrow 40ft (12 metre) chute, measures around 30 feet (9 metres) long by just a few feet wide and can only be accessed via several steep climbs and fissures. The original finder – caver Steven Tucker – reported that jagged rocks hooked into his overalls as he squeezed through a crack deep in the subterranean cave. Upon emerging at the other end, he saw he was in a chamber dripping with stalactites. Tucker was only trying to get out of fellow caver Rick Hunter's way, inching to the side, on a different intended route when he stepped into the crack in the network of caves. He'd heard of the crack before, but despite having been down this cave more than 20 times, he had never noticed it, nor heard of any other caver who had ventured down it. He shone his headlamp down the dark crevice, and couldn't see where it ended. He knew of at least one other caver who also stared down the crack, and decided it was too dangerous. He began to lower himself, feet-first, into the narrow vertical opening. Tucker, just wiry enough to fit, followed the crack deeper into the earth for nearly 13 yards (12 meters). “It's 18 centimeters (7.1 inches) wide, with these jagged rocks, sticking into you from all sides. And suddenly at the bottom, it opens up into a large chamber with really stunning stalactites hanging from the ceiling” Tucker said, hunching his shoulders and jutting his elbows out as he re-enacted the descent.

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
              Six skinny ladies and the inside story....

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...ominin/404362/
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]n173166[/ATTACH]

Photo by John Hawks
              What a great story and team!
              Sometimes ya just can't say enough 'bout those skinny girls!

[YT]ZrCDz-HIfbY[/YT]

Comment

lol, Olden your one twisted dude,lol.
                call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Ah, The Bigfoot Trio! Love those guys. Excuse me, my bad, I mean I love those Australopithacenes!
                  Rhode Island

Comment

this is an Impressive Find, 15 individuals cover such an age range. this will add a great deal to our understanding of early Hominids...
                    \"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..\" ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Ah, The Bigfoot Trio! Love those guys. Excuse me, my bad, I mean I love those Australopithacenes!
                      Yeah, there used to be four of 'em. Lucy was a bit disgruntled at their recent name change to the fountainheads - she walked off when the others said her moves and ideas were dated. Some people.. to each his own I guess.
                      .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............................
                      Last edited by Olden; 09-11-2015, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyjunkie View Post
                        this is an Impressive Find, 15 individuals cover such an age range. this will add a great deal to our understanding of early Hominids...

Yep, a mind blowing amount of data to pore over - should keep 'em busy for some time. I hope they continue to seek out the caves for finds - seems to be where the real jackpots are always hidden.
                        In 2010 it was announced that they had a major discovery - in 2011 they gave this interview that I thought was interesting. At that time they had two skeletons, and didn't know the full scope of what they'd found.

Paleoanthropologists Lee Berger and Bernard Wood discuss what the research means for our understanding of the human family tree.

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPl...59&m=140337450

[YT]vSBicNWwB8I[/YT]
                        Last edited by Olden; 09-24-2015, 04:52 AM.

Comment

There is controversy regarding this discovery. Mostly it seems to be the speed with which the results appeared, and the incorporation of the press into the whole process. It is suggested the use of women cavers was for publicity. Others are speaking up for the lead scientist. Traditional peer review vs. open access journal. Access to data/bones in short order vs. years...

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...rushing-errors
                          Last edited by CMD; 10-26-2015, 02:21 PM.
                          Rhode Island

Comment

There is controversy regarding this discovery. Mostly it seems to be the speed with which the results appeared, and the incorporation of the press into the whole process. It is suggested the use of women cavers was for publicity. Others are speaking up for the lead scientist. Traditional peer review vs. open access journal. Access to data/bones in short order vs. years...

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...rushing-errors
                            Thanks for the link Charlie, a recent National Geographic did a good job covering these finds, wich included great photographs.
                            My thoughts are that like the article said were seeing "old school vs new school". I personally think the sooner we figure these things out the better. I dont like the thought of cutting corners, but these lengthy scientific studies behind closed doors seem expensive and drawn out. I mean 10+ years to unveil a "new" discovery? Seems a little over the top. They did the work and threw it out there, now many others can go to work with what they've found. Long story short, the same end result will be achieved, just alot sooner imo.
                            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
                            X