Marsh Creek, California - Bizarre Burial Rituals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marsh Creek, California - Bizarre Burial Rituals

On the site of an ancient cemetery in central California, archaeologists have found evidence of macabre practices involving severed heads and polished skull caps.
    While excavating a region of Marsh Creek in northern California, researchers found eight graves in which it appeared 'trophy heads' had been buried alongside the bodies of members of the community.
    'Trophy heads' were taken by ancient warriors to celebrate victories and killings.
    A further seven skeletons were found with their heads removed.
    But rather than being used as trophies by warriors to take into the next world, analysis of the bones suggest the extra skulls may have belonged to the buried people's ancestors.
    In fact, experts believe the skulls may have belonged to the mothers of the people in the graves:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...l-rituals.html

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Talk about loving your family to death ...... Looks like ol dolmer has a little competition .... Wow
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

Now that's a little twisted. Oh to know the whole truth.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

As bad as polishing you mothers skull as a drinking vessel sounds, I can't imagine that it was done without other types of ritualistic funerations. Until recently some tribes practiced eating parts of their dead relatives 'to keep them close'. If this was the case, I wonder if sooner or later a prion type disease like the one that infected the New Guinea tribes might be detected from those old graves..

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Out in a rural area near the little village of Stanwood is a small cemetery. This small cemetery holds the remains of my Great Grandparents, Grandparents, Parents, Siblings, Cousins, Aunts and Uncles. Will this someday be viewed as a strange ritual? Considering the dissolving of the family unit in today's society it's probably already unusual.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Interesting read. (Note: I like who the dailymail.co.uk is a great source for US archaeology (the fluted point recently found on the beach, these skulls.)

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
              Out in a rural area near the little village of Stanwood is a small cemetery. This small cemetery holds the remains of my Great Grandparents, Grandparents, Parents, Siblings, Cousins, Aunts and Uncles. Will this someday be viewed as a strange ritual? Considering the dissolving of the family unit in today's society it's probably already unusual.
              Great point Ron, whats accepted today may be looked at as Taboo tommorrow. Even though that seems really gruesome and bizzare to us, to them it may have provided solice and comfort in a time of saddness.

Very interesting link Roger! Thanks for the read!
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

This suggestion of ancestor worship seems less strange, perhaps, when one considers how common post-mortem manipulation was in Native American secondary burials:

http://www.poweredbyosteons.org/2011...st-mortem.html
                Rhode Island

Comment

Painshill & CMD: Thanks to you both for bringing this to our attention. Interesting reads, both of them.

Comment

Working...
                  X