Narragansett Runestone Dedicated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narragansett Runestone Dedicated

Today was a special day for yours truly. An artifact I first located on April 7, 1985, and which was stolen off the shoreline of Narragansett Bay, all 3-4 tons of it, in 2012, was today installed in a permanent location in the village of Wickford, RI. just a few miles from its original find location. Three of the photographs I took in April, 1985, were included on the signage created for this display. It's great to see it protected for future generations of Rhode Islanders and tourists alike to enjoy and ponder. Regardless of its true origins, which may never be known....

Here, North Kingstown Town Historian Tim Cranston speaks to the assembled guests.. Click image for larger version  Name:	Runestone 9.jpg Views:	79 Size:	61.6 KB ID:	180292

Scott Wolter, who popularized this inscription on the History Channel, thanks RIDEM lead detective Sheila Paquette, who investigated the theft, and Steve DiMarzo, research coordinator for the RI chapter of the New England Antiquties Research Association (NEARA), who was responsible for urging the state to protect this artifact prior to its disappearance in 2012.... Click image for larger version  Name:	Runestone 8.jpg Views:	89 Size:	62.4 KB ID:	180293

Town Historian Tim Cranston unveils the Narragansett Runestone. October 30, 2015, 30 years after we located it, and after I published the first article describing its existence.... Click image for larger version  Name:	Runestone 7.jpg Views:	100 Size:	58.8 KB ID:	180294

The Narragansett Runestone: Click image for larger version  Name:	Runestone 6.jpg Views:	73 Size:	60.6 KB ID:	180295

The signage: Click image for larger version  Name:	Runestone 1.jpg Views:	91 Size:	67.2 KB ID:	180296
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Runestone 10.jpg Views:	56 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	180297

Click image for larger version  Name:	Runestone 17.jpg Views:	54 Size:	35.5 KB ID:	180331

Attached Files
    Last edited by CMD; 11-29-2020, 08:30 PM.
    Rhode Island

The photos accompanying the signage. Click image for larger version

Name:	Runestone 11.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	180300

Click image for larger version

Name:	Runestone 4.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	180301

Name:	Runestone 2.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	180302

Earliest photo of the inscription, taken on April 7, 1985..... Click image for larger version

Name:	Runestone 13.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	180303

Name:	Runestone 15.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	180312

Name:	Runestone 14.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	180313

A good crowd was on hand. Beautiful Fall day by Wickford Harbour, Wickford Village, North Kingstown, RI. Click image for larger version

Name:	Runestone 12.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	180304

Name:	Runestone 18.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	180582

An roof of sorts remains to be put in place, so the inscription is not too exposed to the elements.
    Last edited by CMD; 10-31-2015, 06:23 PM.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Wow that is awesome Charlie thanks for sharing the story with us. Very cool that they used your photographs in the display too!
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Very, very cool thing. You should be very proud of your part in that, congrats!!!
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

thats really awesome Charlie! and big congrats to you for your part in the larger story, and now your name will be forever attached to such a great artifact for all to see, and you deserve it too. great ending to the story, and its really cool its finally on display. i really wish i could have seen it personally when it was still in the bay.
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Thank you your kind words, folks. Jay, RJ Heim was there from channel 10 filing a report. So here's a video. I show up now and then if you can spot me, lol...

How could I have ever guessed 30 years ago that someone would steal several tons of rock from such a location!? We thought we would never see it again. And we even knew who took it! One of the richest men in America!! My guess was it had been dumped in deep, deep water. But, it came back. I am proud of the role I played. I loved promoting RI when I wrote articles, back in the day. Throwing this out there was my way of saying "look at this cool artifact from RI". Now everybody can enjoy it in a great new setting. Boy, am I glad I saved those negatives!! Lol.....

A multi-ton stone, with its unusual engravings, now sits at its new permanent home on the Wickford waterfront.A placard chronicles the known and speculative history, and discounts the erroneous. Some say the evidence now points back 800 years.Steve DiMarz
            Rhode Island

Comment

Ahhh Charlie wearing Buffalo Plaid right at the 1.25 mark in the vid on the left side. You must be very proud of the picture use. That is so cool. What did Andy Warhol say "every one in the future will get fifteen minutes of fame. "
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Can't wait to go see it in person. Awesome story and great work.

And I couldn't spot you in the video, feel free to give a hint.

Comment

Originally posted by -=METACOM=- View Post
                  Can't wait to go see it in person. Awesome story and great work.

And I couldn't spot you in the video, feel free to give a hint.
                  I'm wearing a red plaid jacket. From the 18-27 second mark, I'm on the left talking with friends, and then where Hoss says, toward the end. I will say this is the most interesting artifact I ever "found". Of course, I did not really find it; just alerted people to it's existence.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Wow! What can I say that you don't already feel. Congratulations
                    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                      Ahhh Charlie wearing Buffalo Plaid right at the 1.25 mark in the vid on the left side. You must be very proud of the picture use. That is so cool. What did Andy Warhol say "every one in the future will get fifteen minutes of fame. "
                      Well, here's the thing. When I wrote an article about this rock, for the NEARA Journal, I could not use any photos that showed the rock in setting. Or even any photos that showed the entire rock. Photos that fit that definition could be used to ascertain the location. And that meant potential harm. A very isolated section of the coast, in the sense that the public would not easily access it by land. Still, I decided I could not risk too many people figuring out the location. As far as I am concerned, it would have been unethical for me to publish the exact location, so long as the rock lay unprotected. I just described the rock as "located on Narragansett Bay" when I wrote it up.

Now, later researchers had no such qualms. And the point was reached where the rock had frequent visitors. And that in turn irritated one landowner in particular. Who took it upon himself to see to it that visitors would have no reason to visit any longer.

Anyway, now it's safe, and I can finally use these photos without worrying about the rock.

Here's the first published photo, a color version of one of the photos used in the display, and a photo of the late Dr. John Fisher, URI geologist, examining the inscription in June, 1985.
                      Rhode Island

Comment

a place i know so well ! and great quahogging around that area too!
                        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• CMD
                          CMD commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You bet. I have other friends that favor Pojac Point for shellfishing too!

That is such an amazing artifact Charlie. Can you tell me why there is never any mention as to who it was who took it from the beach?
                        Bruce
                        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
                          That is such an amazing artifact Charlie. Can you tell me why there is never any mention as to who it was who took it from the beach?
                          Bruce, he's a member of one of the wealthiest "old money" families in America. A true billionaire I'm told. I'm always reluctant because I don't have his resources in the event of a lawsuit.

He grew tired of all the visitors, some of whom no doubt trespassed to get to the shore in front of his house. Groups of people on the shore in front of his house irritated him. I believe they paid $15 million for the property, to use as a summer home. The rock, because it was below the mean high tide line, was on public property. I've never seen the AG's office name him. Just have to be careful is how I look at it. Getting the rock back was the only thing that mattered. If you look at the photo of the rock after it was unveiled, those long "plow scars" atop the rock happened the night the rock was carted away. By land or by sea I actually don't know....
                          Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks for sharing this Charlie, im glad the stone is back were the public can enjoy it! Your photos and work with this stone is something to be very proud of! Im glad you saved those negatives too!!
                            Last edited by Kyflintguy; 11-02-2015, 07:25 PM.
                            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
                            X