Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prehistoric art "Bull C**p" says one congressman.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prehistoric art "Bull C**p" says one congressman.

Henry Ford famously said “history is bunk.” A House committee chair went him one better today, dismissing prehistoric art with the term “bull crap.” Now that I’ve got your attention, here’s a little background. President Obama today designated a new 704,000 acre Basin and Range National Monument under the Antiquities Act. This immediately set off a … Continue reading "Petroglyphs? We Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Petroglyphs!"
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Apparently Congressman Bishop views natural resources as only those things that can be exploited & used/sold, not preserved.
    Child of the tides

Comment

Amazing.....simply amazing!
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Congressman? Bull c***.
        Here are some photos i have taken not too far from home which are in a state park.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0716 (640x480).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	580.4 KB
ID:	182092 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0718 (640x480).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	559.8 KB
ID:	182093
        Last edited by JoshinMO; 11-09-2015, 08:48 AM.
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I'm convinced that statement has more to do with anti Obama politics than anything else.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
            I'm convinced that statement has more to do with anti Obama politics than anything else.
            I suspect you're right, however this country has a long history of disrespect towards anything to do with Native Americans.
            Child of the tides

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
              I suspect your correct as well, Ron. However, Americans aren't all that big on history to begin with, me thinks. Consider. Thanks to the History Network, of all outlets, 1 in 5 Americans now believe civilization on Earth was initiated by aliens from outer space. As well, 12,000,000 Americans now believe the government is controlled by shape shifting reptilian overlords from another galaxy. I suppose many will assume Obama is one such reptilian overlord. Between Ancient Aliens and America Unearthed, the History Network is working overtime to assist in the dumbing down of America.

As far as that Congressman, he's a dope. He's certainly not alone.....
              Rhode Island

Comment

I don't believe we know the exact reason the congressman said what he said. But since he likely said it , then what? Does he believe it is art of not? Maybe, maybe not. Whether it is art as we modern folks call art or prehistoric grafitti as some folks may think it is, I am not possessed of the kind of knowledge to make that call. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as is art. .He may have said that for effect, out of anger and/or frustration or for a number of other reasons. I do know that many westerners (and here I am not talking about folks who live in most of the big cities but the rural folks who are more closely tied to the land) are tired of them increasingly being denied the use of nearby federal lands. I am not sure what the status of the particular parcel of land was before the POTUS made use of the Antiquities Act but I assume it was already under federal management and I suspect it was the BLM which has already laws in place for the management and protection of such prehistoric Native American sites (whether it is art or not) as well as other environmentally sensitive areas. By enacting his authorities under the Ant. Act I believe this will place the area under the management of the Nat. Park Svc. which means that greatly increased use restrictions may come into play. National monuments typically ban hunting, use of off-road vehicles, etc. as well as other uses permitted typically under BLM and USFS jurisdiction. I suspect that the congressman was likely expressing the views of a majority of his constituents. I would also expect that most publications coming out of Berkeley would probably be more from the viewpoint of a very strong environmental perspective than one less so. I think it is not so much partisan anti-Obama politics as it is against any POTUS that would place national public lands in more restrictive use categories. Presidents have done this a number of times when they can't get congress to pass legislation that they favor. Having said that, I would wager that it was suggested by someone on the Democrat side of the aisle.

Comment

I for one have no problem with restricted use areas, many of which are restricted to protect fragile environments, threatened resources & species. Man has proven time & again that he is unable to regulate himself-- whether it's over-fishing, running off-roads through ground petroglyphs, driving dune buggies over beach grass designed to prevent erosion, and any number of abuses, all in the name of fun & "no one can tell me what I can or can't do" attitude. I see it all the time on the Cape Hatteras Seashore when folks won't respect nesting sea birds in spring or sea turtles in summer. It's the few with an attitude that drives regulations.
                  Child of the tides

Comment

I agree with all of you here. Unless people are regulated they take a who the F cares attitude. Just look at all of the trash I am pulling from public parks on a daily basis.
                    Havenhunter you bring up a good point about the use of ATVs.
                    Bruce
                    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Havenhunter
                      Havenhunter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I live in a rural area and the problem isn't the guy who rides an ATV around his yard and uses it to haul a few trees or work around his farm, it's the yahoo mentality out there that you can rip and roar with these things and the more you tear up someone's property the more fun it is. I've seen them chase deer & horses & pop groundhogs on the fly. Same goes for many boaters, snowmobilers & motocross riders. They get out on their toys & leave their brains & manners at home.

Reportedly, he's a Mormon (5 children named: Shule, Jarom, Zenock, Maren, and Jashon) and spent two years in Germany serving a mission for the LDS Church. Might it be that he's also a creationist young-earther and has no belief in that prehistory?
                    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
                    X