No announcement yet.

Pros and Cons of Consulting and Collaborating with Professional Archaeologists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros and Cons of Consulting and Collaborating with Professional Archaeologists

Hi. This is ORARI. I had to register again as Tennguy. This is an update on where we are with the new blog entitled Can Artifact Collectors and Archaeologists Find a Way to Get Along and Collaborate More? This means artifact collectors and archaeologists working together, sharing collector site knowledge, sharing useful information about artifact collections, and other kinds of mutual interaction to advance archaeological research and knowledge in our American future. The blog is located at the following link:

Please recall that KyFlintGuy and I are the moderators for this new blog---which in no way threatens the much larger and more important Arrowheads.com forum because we are a temporary, one-issue blog set up for archaeological research purposes and problem solving only. Several months ago, we cordially invited all the artifact collectors who visit this forum to come over to the new blog every once in a while and participate by loosening up your typing fingers and writing the requested information in under our 10 information collection categories that can be clicked on in the black band at the top of our blog Main Page. We still would very much like to have as much artifact collector input as we can get because your thoughts, opinions, ideas, feelings, and concern are important to us and extremely valuable to our effort---and to be quite frank about it---this effort will just plain not work without collector input under the 10 categories on the new blog. Please participate and send the word out to all of your other artifact collector friends and acquaintances. Would anyone like to volunteer to forward this message to the Arrowheadology.com forum and anywhere else on the worldwide web where American artifact collectors congregate? Many of you would know how to get the word out better than me because you are familiar with all of the societies and organizations that support collectors.

As previously mentioned, our very first request for artifact collector participation was sent out to Arrowheads.com on this forum earlier in 2015. It was our understanding that the professional archaeologists would come to the new blog to do their own participation starting in November 2015 with the publication of a formal invitation to do so in The SAA Archaeological Record. This invitation was just published last night. The SAA Archaeological Record is a regular, bimonthly magazine publication of the Society for American Archaeology (SAA). For any of you who might not know, the SAA is the primary membership organization for professional archaeologists working in the western hemisphere, which of course includes the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central America, and South America.. This month’s edition of The SAA Archaeological Record contains a series of articles organized and edited by my colleagues and friends Dr. Bonnie Pitblado in the Department of Anthropology at the University of Oklahoma in Norman, Oklahoma, and Dr. Michael Shott in the Department of Anthropology at the University of Akron in Akron, Ohio. All three of us share a research interest in the potential for increasing future consultations and collaborations between professional archaeologists and responsible artifact collectors. The overall set of eight different articles by various authors is entitled Pros and Cons of Consulting Collectors. You may read these excellent articles at the following link:

http://digitaleditions.sheridan.com/...97&pre=1#login

The articles reflect current thinking by some people in the professional archaeology camp, but this thinking is subject to future redirection and revision based on the results of future interactions with artifact collectors and a wider range of archaeologists, so if something rubs you the wrong way, it is not written in stone. In fact, I hope that you would read the articles just to get an idea of how professional archaeologists are thinking, and if something concerns you or if you have a question, go over to the new blog and write out your concern or question under one or more of the 10 clickable information categories on the new blog. That is precisely the kind of input we need from you ladies and gentlemen here at the Arrowheads.com forum.

Thank you in advance for your time, interest, and help. Have a nice evening. If you would like to get in touch with our two moderators, we can be reached by e-mail at the addresses listed at the following link:

This blog is designed to facilitate direct discussions between professional archaeologists and artifact collectors throughout the United States and to collect information potentially relevant to re…
    Last edited by painshill; 11-10-2015, 06:47 PM.

Hi guys. For some reason I cannot figure out, our forum here is not activating two of the URL links in my message above. Does anyone know how to go in and fix that? Both links are correct as written. Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tennguy View Post
      Hi guys. For some reason I cannot figure out, our forum here is not activating two of the URL links in my message above. Does anyone know how to go in and fix that? Both links are correct as written. Thanks!!!
      Welcome back Orari, and good luck with your initiative.

I have corrected the two hot-links to make them functional.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Tennguy
        Tennguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Painshill. Did I do something wrong that I could have done better on my end, or are you guys still just overcoming the rough edges in the new forum program?

ORARI: I know that your former avatar name is a acronym and that is why I spelled it in caps. But that matters little. The main thing is I support the premise of your quest and I hope you are successful. I tend to believe that your goals if accomplished would be a win-win situation for all, both pro & amateur. It is very high minded. Also, I wish to provide a proper response but in order to do so I will have to give the subject a good bit of thought. Hopefully I can reply sooner than later.

Comment

You're welcome. I have no way of knowing what you did (or how the forum software responded)... I can only see the end result. The result was that in both instances, the code for the links specified that they should be bright blue in colour. I removed that code and simply gave the URL address without any additional code.

The forum software should then recognise that these are hotlinks and automatically insert the required code (which is a hidden instruction) and change the colour to blue-grey after you hit the "post" button:

[U R L] address for hotlink in blue-grey colour [/ U R L]

If you simply type in a web address the forum software should do the rest for you without any additional instructions. That's how the links are set now (but you can't see the code in square brackets after the post has been submitted).
        Last edited by painshill; 11-10-2015, 09:02 PM.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Tennguy
          Tennguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Painshill. I actually just highlighted the URLs in their browse bar, copied them, and pasted them in---something I do successfully all the time in other contexts. One worked and the other two did not. So the malfunction happened first for no apparent reason. I just added the blue color later myself because having one that worked one color and the two that did not work another color looked odd. The coloring had zero to do with the malfunction because it was entirely after the fact.

Okay. You can delete these comments now because they are all off-subject. Thanks again!!!

Hi guys. We are finally getting a small bit of collector feedback on the new blog. All are still invited to comment. Feel free to get your ideas and opinions out there. Only collectors can speak for collectors. Thanks very much to those of you who are participating!!!!

Comment

write something here...the field is too full of people educated beyond their intelligence.(archs)
          overthinking is too rampant. The best ideas and thoughts in my experience come from regular folks.
          Not someone trying to be famous and the first.
          I believe the archs do know how old some of these artifacts are. But they will NEVER let a layman take any part of credit.
          Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Reflector View Post
            write something here...the field is too full of people educated beyond their intelligence.(archs)
            overthinking is too rampant. The best ideas and thoughts in my experience come from regular folks.
            Not someone trying to be famous and the first.
            I believe the archs do know how old some of these artifacts are. But they will NEVER let a layman take any part of credit.
            Good Luck.
            Reflector. That is precisely why the new blog was created. To get input from better, smarter guys like you. Go on over and give her a whirl at the link above. Spill your guts with questions, ideas, and thoughts. Nobody is looking to get famous on this---Just people exchanging ideas. Everyone's thoughts on the 10 issue categories and related matters count. Gee. I thought everyone would be thrilled.

Comment

I`ve never blogged anything. Old man . sigh

Comment

Working...
              X