Tracking Down Antiquities Looters From Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking Down Antiquities Looters From Space

"Sarah Parcak, an anthropologist at the University of Alabama and a National Geographic fellow, calls what she does “space archaeology.”

“We are at a tipping point right now, with conflict in the Middle East, with climate change and polluting and looting, where antiquities are really threatened. … If we don’t protect these sites, some of them are going to be gone.”

“But we are also at a tipping point where we have all these incredible technologies” she continued. “And we can use them” to identify sites and track looters."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mepage%2Fstory

[YT]YFC5CwZVCEw[/YT]

More detail: from 2014
    [YT]RP9nuUg0Hw0[/YT]

Last edited by Olden; 11-12-2015, 10:15 AM.
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Thanks, Olden. Saw something about this yesterday. Pretty cool stuff. I wasn't able to click on the article link with any of my browsers. Here's the article I saw yesterday...

Dr Sarah Parcak uses satellite technology to unearth Egypt’s ancient settlements, pyramids and palaces lost in the sands of time.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks for the link Charlie. Yep, interesting stuff - as great as these new technologys are, it's a shame that they're having to be used in the context of a 'hurry up before it's destroyed' basis though..

Last edited by Olden; 11-12-2015, 08:58 PM.
      If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Olden View Post

Thanks for the link Charlie. Yep, interesting stuff - as great as these new technologys are, it's a shame that they're having to be used in the context of a 'hurry up before it's destroyed' basis though..
        Yeah, the destruction of history at the hands of mindless fanatics is tragic. Infuriating. And very sad.
        Rhode Island

Comment

Everyone is a looter I dont care who or what you are.even the intelligent life in the future will be looters.if you leave things alone you wont be a looter.

Comment

Working...
          X