The Trees that miss the Mammoths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Trees that miss the Mammoths

an interesting read about trees , that we still see today, were changed by the Ice Age Mega Fauna..
    Last edited by Flyjunkie; 12-20-2015, 02:52 PM.
    \"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..\" ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

I wonder if any fossilized remains of the larger herbivores have been found in the remaining regions of these trees?
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Nice little read, Thanks. At mastodon state park they have a film people can watch and one thing mentioned in it is how the trees and landscape was different out here back then with more pine and spruce but then it changed to more hardwoods like oak. We do still have osage orange and just the other day seen where the creek moves the big green balls likely all the way to the mississippi river and from there who knows.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Interesting! The avocado belongs in this anachronistic category too. The leaves and bark of the tree, as well as the skin of the fruit and its seed are toxic to most animals. Whatever animal was the evolutionary assist for seed dispersal probably ate the fruit whole and expunged it whole, but there is no modern animal in its native Central America/Mexico capable of doing this. Giant ground sloths or gomphotheres are likely candidates.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

While not dispersing the seeds directly, four legged friends may once again be assisting in the survival of the Florida avocado.
          Until now, there was no way to tell the trees were even sick before it was too late, but researchers are using extreme measures to detect fungal diseases in the early stages
          If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Excellent article Flyjunkie. Thanks for sharing that. I have all of those trees in my area. Never knew the significance of them in the landscape. It also gets me interested in the megafauna in my area that prehistoric man hunted, possibly with the points that I search for. I plan on doing some follow up reading on this topic. Thanks again...
            The chase is better than the catch...
            I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Working...
            X