The Alleged Oak Island Roman Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Alleged Oak Island Roman Sword

Seems this discovery has generated sensesionalist claims, making the rounds of late. I'm no authority, but thought this article, with links to similar objects, should be enough to raise the old red flags.

An ancient Roman sword discovered off the coast near Oak Island, Nova Scotia is being hailed by Carl L. Johannessen, Professor Emeritus with the University of Oregon, as a find that is set to “challenge the orthodoxy of 1492 as the date when the New World was ‘discovered,'” according to Boston Standard. While it is […]
    Rhode Island

That whole Oak Island thing is just way over the top.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Watching the show right now. Had only seen it once when it first came out. Came across it flipping through games. I'd like to have the money they've already spent and I've only been watching 10 min.

Comment

It's the booby trap (1/4 mile down or something) flooding with ocean water and such that seemed a bit "too much" to believe. Lost interest few shows back.
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I do believe the Oak Island money pit, if it's money that is even in the pit, is a true mystery. Unless they've pulled the wool over my eyes, and I don't actually watch the current History network show, somebody, sometime, created an engineering marvel, for reasons unknown, on Oak Island. Whoever did it, and the booby traps are real, was some kind of genius. Somebody created it in a way that sea water would flood it at a certain depth. I don't think there is any doubt that whatever is on Oak Island is a real, not an imagined, mystery. When you see what was involved, it's mind boggling. And one can't help but wonder "who had the ability and reason, and man power, and genius, to do this?! I think it really is an astounding feat, and I would love to know who and when. Not to mention the biggest question: what the heck is hidden down there? Just a mind boggling feat of engineering. If you ask me:-)

The show may go over the top, but the mystery of Oak Island is no fantasy.
          Rhode Island

Comment

A history of the mystery:

Many have grappled with trying to explain the mystery of Oak Island, but none have been able to find out what's at the bottom of the Money Pit.
            Rhode Island

Comment

The sword looks like the same quality as the fake bronze swords being made in China. They are frequently sold as ancient Chinese, Greek, Roman, etc. I have seen them for sale for upwards of $2K and I bought a couple for less than $50 just to have them for reference.

The rest of the swords I own are all antiques and definitely real.

Mike

Comment

There are indeed lots of unsolved mysteries relating to Oak Island, but much of what is said/written about it (and the “money pit”) is either demonstrably untrue or completely unverified. The “Roman sword” is farcical. It was first reported in an obscure provincial English newspaper (The Boston Standard), which has a weekly circulation of about 10,000 copies. There are special reasons why this was the case (which cast further suspicion on the veracity of the facts relating to its “discovery”).

As Mike says, you can buy artificially aged replicas of a similar nature on eBay. In fact there’s a sword (not designated as a replica) which is pretty much identical to the claimed Oak Island item for sale here for 35 Euros (about 38 Dollars):

http://www.ebay.it/itm/PARTICOLARE-SCULTURA-COMMEMORATIVA-SPADA-BRONZEA-ROMANA-CON-IMPUGNATURA-STATUA-/301746768453

Click image for larger version

Name:	eBay Sword Listing.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	188652 Click image for larger version

Name:	eBay Sword.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	188653 Click image for larger version

Name:	Claimed Oak Island.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	188654
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I don't know anything about this sword, but I think there is something in that pit as well. Somebody sure dug a heck of a hole to put something in it. Maybe.
                  South Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by SDhunter View Post
                    I don't know anything about this sword, but I think there is something in that pit as well. Somebody sure dug a heck of a hole to put something in it. Maybe.
                    There was... gone now

Comment

Thanks Guys................. never heard of this before and its just gave me a couple of days of most interesting reading. love the theory of the knights templar and all that (dan brown did really well with his story) and there must be some truth, somewhere, to the lost heritage of the knights of the crusades all the way to the building of the `new world` but who knows the whole story. very interesting.......
                      If You Know Your History You Can Predict The Future

Comment

Working...
                      X