Spanish Massacre at Kiskiac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish Massacre at Kiskiac

Thursday night I attended a lecture at the VA Institute of Marine Science where W&M Professor Martin Gallivan presented archaeological evidence and colonial accounts to show how NAs used the resources of the Chesapeake Bay & it's tidal estuaries. Some of his evidence came from the writings of Capt. John Smith who explored both the Bay & sailed up the James, York & Rappahannock rivers. Smith noted that although he had been warmly welcomed at most of the Powhatan villages, when he arrived at Kiskiac on the York, he found the village guarded by a palisades & the village people unwelcoming. Turns out this village had been visited by Spanish Jesuits back in the 1560s who built a church & attempted to convert the natives. They even kidnapped a teenage boy & took him to Spain & Cuba before returning him to his home. Once back home, he renounced Christianity & joined other warriors in massacring the Spanish. Needless to say the village was not about to welcome a second European landing party. This was a first contact story I had not heard before. Ongoing archeological digs at Kiskiac-- now site of the US Naval Weapons Station just north of Yorktown -- are finding numerous artifacts & palisade stain holes helping to corroborate Smith's observations. It was a fascinating lecture.
    Child of the tides

Interesting story Haven - here's a few maps that'll show the routes of John Smith, and the locations of the events (and more). Thanks!

John Smith's 1st & 2nd Voyages PDF
    Map 2.7e (5th map) shows the location of Kiskiack - about 10 miles east of Williamsburg
    http://www.nps.gov/cajo/learn/manage...r-2-Part-2.pdf
    Last edited by Olden; 02-01-2016, 11:50 AM.
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Yup. Know where it is. The site is fairly well preserved since there's been little development other than some rather ostentatious officers homes overlooking the river. That area has been barricaded with jersey walls since 9/11.
      Child of the tides

Comment

Hmmm.. looks as though I'll have to check out the site in stealth mode: fortunately, I already have the singing voice of the Blue Heron..
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Stealthy...jpg
Views:	105
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	193309

Comment

• Havenhunter
          Havenhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Better do it before breeding season! 😍

Roger That!

Comment

Working...
        X