X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme archaeology

Extreme archaeology
    Posted by [Paleolution]

Moderator Note: this thread was first posted in 2011 but failed to transfer across to the new forum when the software was updated, and so has been re-created manually.

I wanted to share what I found this weekend while helping Colorado State University with a game drive survey on the divide. It was bitter cold with fog rolling all morning and the wind was whipping around 30 mph. We went up to a small drive line that a volunteer had found some flakes the day before. It is a small saddle along a huge ridge that drops down to a lake on the back side. Right away I found a dart tip, and a couple flakes. The other guys found two other points too. While surveying the site, the wind forced us down the hill on a steep slope over looking a lake. I figured I would walk the down hill side below the blind so I could warm up a bit. That's when I spotted this big archaic knife blade! I couldn't believe it was on the side of the hill like that. Here's a couple insitu's of it. It's made of quartzite, very well made and large for the area. To date, it is the only archaic blade found on the drive systems above tree line. Enjoy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	knife1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	228414 Click image for larger version

Name:	knife2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	228415 Click image for larger version

Name:	knife3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	228416

Posted by [relic_hunter]
    Nice find!-Kenny

Posted by [greywolf22]
    That is going ti extremes bit if you love it you push it. Nice Archaic knife.
    Jack

Posted by [ksrocks]
    Thats a great find and nice insitu Tyson. Also beautiful country to hunt in. Wonder how cold it was there a few thousnd years ago.
    Joe.

Posted by [CousinDan]
    I'm torn between which I like better the blade or the view! Sweet find!

Posted by [Hoss ]
    Thanks for sharing that one!

Posted by [Paleolution]
    Thanks guys! It was an amazing experience to find so many sites above tree line. Well CousinDan, if those were weren't enough for you, here's a shot of one of the 18 blinds we measured, as well as a shot of the lakes. Within the second photo, there are several sites, from a ceramics site, to butchering sites, and of course the drive lines and blinds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rollins.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	228417 Click image for larger version

Name:	rollins2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	228418

Posted by [Kansas]
    Wow. what a view... :woohoo: I don't think we are in Kansas any more...

Posted by [gregszybala]
    Tyson,nice point, beautiful country, you really got to be enjoying the experience!

Posted by [chase]
    Tyson, Nice find! Your making me jealous. I am glad to see the snow is finally melting before winter that is.

Posted by [Hoss ]
    That is some pretty country!

Posted by [JoeM]
    Really appreciate the updates!
    Very interesting research you are doing and great pictures!
    (Just click your heels together, Kansas. )
    Joe

Posted by [rmartin]
    Awesome post! Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Posted by [CMD ]
    Great quartzite knife, Tyson. That's God's country for sure!
    Charlie

Posted by [CousinDan]
    Sweet pictures Tyson! You take a fly rod with ya?

Posted by [Paleolution]
    Thanks everyone, I am back packing into another game drive site this weekend for more research. I will post some pics if I come across anything. Dan, I don't take a fly rod, but I do take a travel pole. They stocked these high mountain lakes back in the 80's with cut throat trout, but they are not easy to catch. Boy are they worth it if you can, a fresh trout meal beats freeze dried bag meals any day!
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.
Working...
X