Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neat list of mystery

I'm sure some of you know a bit about some of these. WV made the list too

Most people consider the start of US history to be 1776, but nothing could be further from the truth. There are, in fact, thousands of years of North
    Montani Semper Liberi

They are interesting places
    South Dakota

Comment

Very cool list. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I had heard about some of them but it's still spectacular and most are still of questionable origin. Very very interesting. Thanks for posting it. ...Chuck
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Originally posted by lukecreekwalker View Post
          I'm sure some of you know a bit about some of these. WV made the list too

http://listverse.com/2016/11/16/10-u...ed-in-mystery/
          RMartin, A "Member" that hasn't posted here in a long time I think mentioned, The Cahokia likely left because The Water (Stream) went bad, maybe because of drought.
          Last edited by JoshinMO; 11-17-2016, 10:14 AM. Reason: fix again
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• lukecreekwalker
            lukecreekwalker commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd love to travel to cahokia. How close are you Josh? I figured you would have been there. I drive past the serpent mound a couple times a year but have never stopped yet

Here's an earlier thread on the Upton Chamber. The link in the thread for the latest scientific study still works, as does the newspaper article, with emphasis on its possible native origin:

http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/g...ilt-by-natives

For quite a few years, I was research coordinator for the RI chapter of the New England Antiquities Research Association(NEARA). Spent much of the late 70's through 80's looking for interesting stone features in our forests, and elsewhere. It was an enjoyable time in my life, but I was conservative and skeptical. Over the years, Native American association to some of these stone features has become more popular, in particular by native peoples themselves, and their historic preservation officers, and among some archaeologists. So, over the years the more flamboyant theories of Old World influence has given way to native origins vs. colonial/natural landscape features(principly glacial).

I'm still active in NEARA. It's a fun group:

Last edited by CMD; 11-17-2016, 05:08 PM.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Originally posted by JoshinMO View Post
            RMartin, A "Member" that hasn't posted here in a long time I think mentioned, The Cahokia likely left because The Water (Stream) went bad, maybe because of drought.
            Interesting list Luke.

I don’t recall what Ray said in one of his many interesting posts about Cahokia, but last year there was a chance discovery that has shed a bit more light on its decline.

A team led by UW-Madison geographers Samuel Munoza and Jack Williams was examining sediment cores dating back nearly 2,000 years from beneath Horseshoe Lake on the Mississippi floodplain, close to the Cahokia site. They found several unusually smooth-textured sediment layers that were lighter in colour, which one of the team dubbed “lake butter”. Subsequently, these layers were identified as flood deposits and have been carbon dated from residual plant material. Munoza said: “When the Mississippi River flooded and flooded high enough, it would deposit all the mud it was carrying in our lake... In order for us to see these floods in our lake, the river needs to get about 10 meters (33 feet) above its base elevation above St. Louis… That’s a big flood.” The findings were corroborated by data from further cores taken from Grassy Lake, about 100 miles down river.

The findings show that floods were common in the region between A.D. 300 and 600 but it then experienced an arid flood-free period, which would have allowed people to more intensively farm the fertile soils on the edge of the Mississippi floodplain. Cahokia rose to prominence during this period, through to about AD 1200. Between AD 1100-1260 and again between AD 1340-1460 AD there was major and prolonged flooding which would have swamped many of the agricultural areas to the extent that a major population could no longer be supported. These two periods correspond to major population declines at Cahokia.

The abandonment of Cahokia began around AD 1300 and it was completely abandoned by AD 1400. It’s true that there was a “mega-drought” in the southwestern US around AD 1375, but it’s not clear if its effects reached as far as Cahokia. Nevertheless, Cahokia was already in decline before then.

Munoza, who is not an archaeologist, doesn’t rule out the other possible contributory factors that have been proposed over the years such as conflict & warfare, political collapse, disease, over-exploitation of resources and drought. He recognises that many factors likely contributed to Cahokia's decline, but suggests that a major flooding event in its final period could have been the proverbial last straw.

The findings of Munoza’s team were published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in 2015 as “Cahokia’s emergence and decline coincided with shifts of flood frequency on the Mississippi River”, available as a download here:

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• lukecreekwalker
              Editing a comment
              Cahokia had to have contact with the South American powerhouses. Is it a stretch to think they were warned about the Spanish? Could you imagine a shell shocked native walking in telling them about the utter destruction the Europeans were causing?

• painshill
              painshill commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting thought but Columbus didn't arrive in the Americas until 1492 and the Spanish conquest spreading out of Mexico didn't begin until 1519. Cahokia had been deserted for over 100 years before any tales of Spanish destruction could have reached people in the area.

I sometimes wish I was in that field trying to figure out what happened to cultures, since I find it interesting. There seem to be so many different reasons why a certain group of people disappeared. It's kind of still happening today.
            South Dakota

Comment

Thanks Roger, The Science to study the history back then is Great.
              Mike, I am about a 45 minute drive from The Cahokia mounds and lost count how many times i have been there, It's a Great Place.
              Last edited by JoshinMO; 11-18-2016, 06:52 PM. Reason: fix
              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• lukecreekwalker
                Editing a comment
                You ever find a Cahokia point? I figured they would be all around your neck of the woods

• JoshinMO
                JoshinMO commented
                Editing a comment
                No, I might have found a couple madison point's though.
            Working...
            X