Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Comet Wiped Out Clovis

https://phys.org/news/2017-03-discov...is-people.html

""The presence of elevated platinum in archaeological sites is a confirmation of data previously reported for the Younger-Dryas onset several years ago in a Greenland ice-core. The authors for that study concluded that the most likely source of such platinum enrichment was from the impact of an extraterrestrial object," Moore says."
    Last edited by CMD; 03-11-2017, 07:56 AM.
    Rhode Island

Awesome Charlie, very interesting.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Thanks, Josh. Another important clue. I just discovered the article is available online:

Rhode Island

Comment

Closer to home, my home site sits atop the rim of the sixth largest known impact crater in the world. 35 million years ago an extracelestial visitor blasted a hole in the sea floor off the tip of Virginia's Eastern Shore, creating a crater 50 miles in diameter & spewing debris thirty miles into the air. Called the Chesapeake Bay Bolide, it was discovered by the USGS while surveying salt water incursions into fresh water wells. It's a remarkable event that helped determine the Bay.
        Last edited by Havenhunter; 03-11-2017, 10:31 AM.
        Child of the tides

Comment

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          Fascinating, Deb!

We know now that Australian aboregenal oral memory extends back, with accuracy, at least 7000 years. They remember meteor strikes from thousands of years ago:

http://www.newhistorian.com/aborigin...00-years/4864/

The Clovis culture experienced this catastrophic impact of a comet or huge meteor. What must it have been like to go through something like that? How many humans must have died in such an event? With the Chelesybink event in Russia a few years back, thousands of windows were shattered. Yet, had the bolide exploded just a few miles lower in the atmosphere, over 1 million people would have died.

Anyway, here is a book that gets good reviews, one of the authors being one of the principle proponents of the theory, now looking stronger then ever, that a cosmic impact triggered the Younger-Dryas. It includes possible oral memories:

https://www.amazon.com/The-Cycle-of-...vw_txt?ie=UTF8
        Rhode Island

Comment

Interesting stuff Charlie. That platinum was pretty well spread out across the US - wonder if they'll ever find the impact area. Then again, if it exploded above earth they won't find an impact area. Really interesting.
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            Or, it could very well have impacted the ice sheet, in which case there would not have been an actual impact crater on the ground.

Australias outback is like Swiss cheese...so many of the impact craters have eroded and can't really be seen...

Comment

Originally posted by TSUMS View Post
            Australias outback is like Swiss cheese...so many of the impact craters have eroded and can't really be seen...
            Yeah, I've collected meteorites for years, and always regretted when the Australian government clamped down on exporting any from that nation. What I do find remarkable is now having proof that oral memories of great events, like a meteorite impact, can actually be passed down for thousands of years. For instance, the Henbury craters. The impact occurred ~4700 years ago, and they actually still remember the event in oral tradition:

Oral traditions may have preserved records of impacts over thousands of years and could lead to fresh scientific discoveries

Here is one tome that collects Native American oral traditions that seem to remember impacts in this hemisphere. I guess I would not rush to buy it, however. Simply because the type has been decribed as "nearly microscopic". E.P. Grondine is quite the character. I've known him from both meteorite mailing lists and archaeology forums. I do believe he's onto something, though. And with the discovery that aboregenal oral traditions are accurate in describing events many thousands of years old, it does provide renewed respect for oral transmission of memories. Which is quite remarkable....

Rhode Island

Comment

I read this yesterday Charlie, its another very interesting clue. I think that the lifestyle changes we understand or recognize when we look at the Transition from Paleo to Archaic are also a good clue as to what really happened. Maybe its just coincidental related to an impact and Moreso related to mass extinctions, but seems like everyone here in the east hunkered down in the Transitional Paleo to Early Archaic. That could point to a dramatic shift in climate or environmental factors or even psychological factors involved with a catastrophic impact scenario beyond the idea of "the herds died therefore life became more seditary" idea... Just makes me wonder.
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

This history is sooo interesting. Today, mostly because of technology, we can't remember what happened yesterday. Our kids will probably be in even worse condition, except for PS2/3/100 etc. I have always thought that factual history came from written history, whether on a cave wall or leather scroll. I do remember Native Americans were keeping an oral tradition but that it was only recent. But 4,500 years of pass down oral history/tradition is almost impossible to imagine. How it remained so accurate for so long without distortion. Mind boggling. Thanks for getting it started Charlie and to all those who add to it.
                Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Charlie & Chuck, you bring up a good point. Depending on whether it was an impact bolide or an air burst, impossible to fathom how many life firms perished. Geophysics evidence of the Chesapeake Bay Bolide, which happened prior to human habitation, sent tsunamis from the impact zone as far westward as the Appalachians. Millions upon millions of flora & fauna were wiped out. If the same impact happened today, all the major east coast cities would be obliterated.
                  Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
                  X