Hopewell Beads Made From Meteorite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopewell Beads Made From Meteorite

The Hopewell were known to have collected pieces of the Brenham, Kansas pallasite meteorite, but this is different, and only recently realized....

Rhode Island

Very interesting. Would be cool to find something like that. Also interesting that they can match meteorite specimens. So, am I to assume then, that no two meteorites are the same?
    South Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by SDhunter View Post
      Very interesting. Would be cool to find something like that. Also interesting that they can match meteorite specimens. So, am I to assume then, that no two meteorites are the same?
      Well, there are three main types of meteorites: stony, stony iron, and iron, and all manners of sub classifications based on chemistry and petrology. They are also classified as falls, if seen to fall and are then recovered, or finds, if found but not a witnessed fall. And yes, it's safe to say no two are identical. On the other hand, in Northwest Africa, the most recent "gold mine" where meteorites are found and brought to market for distribution to collectors and scientists, separate finds, while receiving unique numbers from the Nomanclature committee of the Meteoritical Society, can often be found to actually match, and hence were samples from the same fall, although they will receive different numbers.

Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
      X