Oldest Homo sapiens Found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest Homo sapiens Found

Good science is ever self correcting. Almost never safe to assume you have the story straight. Only thing permanent is change.

The 300,000-year-old bones and stone tools were discovered in a surprising place—and could revise the history of our species.
    Rhode Island

Weren't off by much were they?
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks Charlie, Very interesting discovery. Some Scientists had previously believed that the date could be around 300,000 years because of stone tools that were found. Finding modern human bones with the tools is a great discovery.

Edit: That sure is some beautiful lithic material.
      Last edited by Ron Kelley; 06-07-2017, 05:00 PM.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

The stone tools:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	_96388692_1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	252006
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

They don't look much different than what we still find
          South Dakota

Comment

There were two papers in Nature describing this important find. But they are expensive to view. The news section of the Nature website offers a summary:

And here are the two papers from Nature, which does allow one to view some of the figures from both articles, as well as the abstracts:

Rhode Island

Comment

Hi Charlie. Just noticed this post. Thank you for bringing the article to our attention. It is a fascinating read.

Comment

You're welcome, Joe. Here are some links to more videos on the find:

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/resear...n-remains-yet/

https://eblnews.com/video/oldest-hum...morocco-125382

And 5 species of humans living at the same time:

https://eblnews.com/video/five-fasci...origins-125006

One question I have when I ponder all these species of human beings. It's not a scientific question, and it's one that I personally ask, only because I happen to believe human beings are "spiritual beings on a human journey"(that's how near death experiencier(NDE) Dannion Brinkley phrased his view of humans, and I tend to agree), and my question is did each species of humans possess a soul? I guess I have a tendency to ask odd questions:-). But the fact that all 5 overlapped in time makes me think things like that, outside of the scientific interest in human evolution. Not trying to start a debate, as religion and politics often lead to argumentation....
                Rhode Island

Comment

Since many NA believed (& many still do) that all living species-- plants, animals, the earth itself-- are interconnected, it would almost be impossible to say one higher species had a soul but the lower did not. In the end we all turn into tiny bits of matter to be redistributed.
                  Child of the tides

Comment

• CMD
                    CMD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, without launching into a discussion of the never ending variety, you're thinking as I do. I believe consciousness precedes matter anyway, and not the other way around.
                Working...
                X