Copper artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper artifacts

One page from the Milwaukee Public Museum showing examples of many different types of artifacts.
    One of many example on the page with brief descriptions.

Over the past century and a half the discovery of thousands of copper artifacts, primarily on Wisconsin soil, has given rise to speculation and interpretation of their manufacture and function. Many of these artifacts leave little doubt as to their probable function, but others are not so well understood. The Old Copper Collection at the MPM constitutes the entire range of known artifact types.

Click image for larger version

Name:	artifacttype17.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	259350
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Those are awesome. I've seen a copper head band before, and what I was told were a few copper beads, but never a copper point. That's impressive. The skill and heat it takes to work copper from it's natural state makes that especially impressive.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Jason, On the keweenaw Peninsula and Isle Royal in Michigan's Upper Peninsula there are mass copper deposits. These are some of the most pure copper deposits in the world. Many ancient artifacts were fashioned by hammering the copper into shape.

So they didn't have to forge/smelt this stuff? I know there are a few natural surface deposits in north central Arkansas but I didn't know it could be found in pieces large.enough to work. That's really cool.

i know the one I saw had been chemically tested and they said it was definitely not modern because it was so pure. Maybe it came from up there where you are!! The guy told me that with the chemical test, if they dug deep enough, they could probably tell where exactly it came from because of trace elements in the metal.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
    X