Hurricane Irma unearthed this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Irma unearthed this

A cool occurrence for those who care to check it out, although I don't love the journalism, I think it's worth a read!
    A Florida photographer on an early-morning bike ride the day after Hurricane Irma ravaged the coast stumbled upon an exciting find: a dugout canoe that may be hundreds of years old, according to officials. “As soon as I saw it, I knew exactly what it was,” Randy Lathrop, a self-proclaimed history buff
    Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

I saw that this morning too. I can't imagine it's too old due to the use of nails and such, but it'll be interesting to hear what the archaeologists have to say.

Comment

• Pointhead
      Pointhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly!! The prescience of square nails suggests 1800's. But for a partially or fully submerged canoe to be in that shape still is very cool. I'm interested to hear what it might be, every once in a while you hear about a much older dugout canoe being found. I actually saw a post about one that CMD had commented or posted on I believe it was fairly recently. But could be wrong

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Pointhead, yes I know of an ancient one found in RI that was reburied....

Originally posted by filmiracl View Post
    I saw that this morning too. I can't imagine it's too old due to the use of nails and such, but it'll be interesting to hear what the archaeologists have to say.
    Could even be under a hundred years old. Or a few centuries, but post contact for sure...

Randy 'Shots' Lathrop, a Florida photographer, always keeps an eye out for unusual sights, but he never expected to come across a potentially historic canoe.
    Rhode Island

Comment

You guys probably saw this. There is a good chance that it's old. I read that the nails could have been added long after it was built.
      Analysis shows there are three distinct ranges of time from which a canoe that washed ashore along the Indian River after Hurricane Irma could have originated.

Comment

Originally posted by dr socling View Post
        You guys probably saw this. There is a good chance that it's old. I read that the nails could have been added long after it was built.
        https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...entury-n808811
        I had not seen that. So, could be Contact Era, or it could be under 100 years old. Anywhere from 1600's to 1900's....

Rhode Island

Comment

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          I hope for a date in the 1600's. That would be the oldest it could be, and very neat...

I think they will be able to determine age through carbon-14 dating of the wood. Like I had said above, it might have been around a long time and saw repairs more recently.

Comment

Working...
        X