Program Alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Program Alert

i feel like a kid again reading this, easily one of the most exciting archaeological discoveries of my lifetime. At least it feels that way. Pertaining to the other thread I started on the discovery of a Mayan megalopolis in Guatemala. I decided to put this up separately to make sure it's seen. Feb. 6, 9pm eastern, National Geographic channel.

Wow....
    (more details at the link)

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...writes-History

February 01, 2018 02:00 PM Eastern Standard Time
    WASHINGTON & GUATEMALA CITY--(BUSINESS WIRE)--From Egypt to China, the great civilizations of the ancient world have been long-studied and are instantly recognizable. The Maya, one of the more mysterious ancient civilizations, has never been considered on the same scale, until now. A pioneering new survey of the Guatemalan jungle using a remote surveying method to see through the forest canopy, has mapped the ground below to reveal more than 60,000 previously unknown structures that reveal a vast, interconnected network of cities, fortifications, farms and highways. It also reveals an engineered and managed landscape with specialized areas of agriculture capable of sustaining a massive population with food on an almost industrial scale. This complete re-write of long-held beliefs about the Maya is told for the very first time in National Geographic’s Lost Treasures of the Maya Snake Kings, premiering Tuesday, Feb. 6 at 9/8c.

For decades, archaeologists toiled in dense jungle to piece together their knowledge of the Maya. Hampered by the thick forest, their findings lead to the theory that Maya cities were largely isolated and self-sufficient. However, this long-held belief is now being overturned by Guatemala's PACUNAM LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) Initiative, a consortium of over 30 scientists and archaeologists from leading academic institutions worldwide organised and funded by the PACUNAM Foundation, which has used expensive technology to survey over 2,000 square kilometres of Guatemalan forest by plane. The findings – depicted in epic new digital maps and an Augmented Reality application translating the aerial data into a ground view that was custom-designed for the documentary – lay bare the landscape below the foliage without a single tree or creeper having to be cut down. They suggest earlier Maya population assessments of one to two million fall far short of new estimates up to 20 million inhabitants across the Maya Lowlands – a figure that places around half the entire population of Europe at the time, in an area roughly the size of Italy.

“It’s like a magic trick,” one of the archaeologists leading the project, Tom Garrison, says in the one-hour special, adding, “The survey is the most important development in Maya archaeology in 100 years.”

Rhode Island

Awesome news. I believe that there were far more people in North and South America than believed. I also believe there was trading between these places. I like to get people to imagine if today's society was placed back in time. I'm sure there were advanced populations capable of much more than what people think. I think with more research and findings, people will be shocked at how advanced these early people truly were. Not just dumb cavemen! Thanks for the read.😀

Comment

Yes! Wow! I'm looking forward to watching this!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Charlie, Thank you for posting this info. I probably would have missed it otherwise. I'm looking forward very much to seeing this program. I have visited many of the restored Mayan cities in Guatemala as well as ones in Yucatan, Belize, and Honduras and I found them fascinating which stimulated me wanting to learn more. Consequently, I've done much reading. There are many restored Mayan cities down there that are operated by the various governments as historical parks. Many of the larger cities such as Tikal in Guatemala have only been partially restored. There are also many that they know about that are not restored. I hope that these new discoveries have also been undiscovered and unknown by the local people. Protecting known sites from theft and vandalism has been a major problem in the past as there is a huge market for high quality Mayan artifacts. The LIDAR technology is amazing. It isn't just canopy that makes many hard to find. These ruins are often unrecognizable if you are standing right next to them and looking at them.
        Last edited by sailorjoe; 02-03-2018, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd love to have seen the places you've seen, Joe. Next life maybe, lol...

It is truly amazing how many new discoveries are being made. This morning on the news in addition to the Mayan discoveries they also announced the discovery of a 4400 year old tomb outside of Cairo.
        Last edited by 2ndoldman; 02-03-2018, 01:48 PM.
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

It seems amazing that the better our technology gets, the more we realize just how little we really know about our ancient civilizations. They're finding new, unknown chambers in the pyramids and now, with LiDAR, we see landscape revealing a Mayan megalopolis. And time marches on.
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I can't wait till Tuesday night, lol. I became interested in the Maya in my childhood, and this discovery has me psyched. This YouTube clip is voiced over by computer, common these days, but parts of it also includes descriptions from the archaeologists involved.

The Daily Mail always does a good job with photos:

Researchers used laser technology to look beneath the forest canopy in northern Peten. The lasers revealed the 'breathtaking' remains of a sprawling pre-Columbian 'megalopolis'.
            Last edited by CMD; 02-03-2018, 07:01 PM.
            Rhode Island

Comment

• gregszybala
              gregszybala commented
              Editing a comment
              Pretty good clip but I kept waiting for instructions to turn right in 600 feet.

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              ??? You're going over my head I guess, Greg. But, that's not too hard! Lol....

I hope I. An remember to watch.
            South Dakota

Comment

Hi Charlie. I just saw your last clip. And thank you. Because of it, I think I may be getting the picture of what Nat. Geo. is hyping. El Mirador which is one of the oldest and largest of the Mayan cities and many of the surrounding sites on the map have been known for a long time. What has been discovered more recently may be a network of highways that connect them which would make it one big megalopolis instead of individual non connected city states. And the vast number of newer structures would show up in the suburban areas along the connected routes, etc. I may be jumping the gun here. Just a WAG at predicting what I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing. My understanding is/was that El Mirador is considered to be pre-Classic (earlier) and may have existed independently of the later Classic period cities and some of the pre-Classic cities nearby. I'll just have to wait and see. I never got to visit El Mirador. It is in a very remote area with no commercial transportation available to it. It is a 2 or 3 day hike from the nearest town that has a highway to it. Not touristy at all. lol

Comment

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                There is a short excerpt from the documentary at the bottom of this page, which I had also posted to the other related thread. It emphasizes the role of LIDAR in illuminating Tikal, so looks like it will be about the technology as well as the megaolpolis realization that has been the main hype. Although I think it's great and true hype, lol. Regarding the latter, sounds like what you are inferring, plus many more sites that were not known. Plus the discovery of industrial level food production, thereby greatly increasing population estimates. Yes, some of the sites that were part of this megalopolis were themselves already known. I imagine it does fundamentally change how we view the civilization.

Just a reminder that the show airs tonight on National Geographic channel at 9 eastern time.
              Rhode Island

Comment

Is this only on in the US? I'm looking a the guide on my Shaw/Direct satellite guide and it shows Anne Franks holocaust at 9

Comment

• CMD
                  CMD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry, not familiar with the schedule beyond cable TV in US....

Hi Charlie. I just saw the show. It definitely lived up to the hype surrounding it. It was fascinating. Having visited Tikal and other Mayan cities, it was extremely meaningful to me. Thanks again for the heads up.

Comment

Working...
                X