First Anericans. What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Anericans. What do you think?

Here is a fun thing to think about. Have you heard and read about the Kennewick man they found here in Washington? He was found along the Columbia and dates back to 9.300 years ago. Neat thing about him is that they (you know those who know more than the rest of us)say he was not Indian. Caucasoid or South Asian. How then can the Indians still clame to be first Americans? Fun to think about. Go read the info on him if this makes you think some. I think that I got the web site here

but if not search it at Google. Some really interesting reading. Indians wanted him and the funny thing is that he was shot in the butt with a Indian arrow. My thinking is that the last thing he would want would be for the Indians to get him now after so many years. I think that this is a fun thing to think about. How about you guys?

What do you consider Native American lineage?  No one is really Native considering they all came here from somewhere at some point, correct? 

Comment

All I know is that it was not the man who sailed the ocean blue in 1492. They still teach kids this even today.

Comment

This is the type point that killed Kennewick man. Cascade Stemmed – 2 ¼”L x ¾”W - Early Archaic, 8,000-6,000 B.P. -This black Obsidian point has beautiful oblique transverse flaking – It is a rare stemmed type - Found by George Sahberg in 1960-1970 time frames at Diamond area of Hunts Place Ranch, Harney County OR.– Ex. George Sahberg / Denny Presley

Comment

Beautiful point; But I think if I read the info about him right that the point in his rear had healed up. He carried it around with him for a while. They are not sure what killed him just that he ended up along the river. It seems that the early people were from all over and not just one group. It's fun to think what it must have been like then.

Comment

This is  a very interesting and touchy subject. Maybe the indians killed off the first poeple who came to the americas. Possibly over thousands of years. The first poeple may have come in much smaller groups. Don't you think somewhere back in time we all came from the same place. Or did human life as we know it start in different places. I do agree dave it certainly was not the man who sail the ocean blue!

Comment

The better science and technology gets the more we will know. There is so much untold. I feel in our lifetimes we still will see great changes in the way we thought things used to be. It's fascinating! Who knows it may be up to one of us relic hunters to discover the history changing find. Good Luck everyone!

Comment

I think that the most important knowledge toward understanding the beginnings of Man will be coming from DNA research over coming years. The bigger the database gets, the more we will understand some of what happened tens of thousands of years ago.

Comment

CliffJ wrote:

I think that the most important knowledge toward understanding the beginnings of Man will be coming from DNA research over coming years. The bigger the database gets, the more we will understand some of what happened tens of thousands of years ago.
                    That reminds me Cliff, there was a show on national geographic about a year ago, now on netflix. It was about this researcher who was tracing the human tree.  It was pretty interesting.
                  I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it, as always, it probably could be better.  It was good though.
                  The Human Family Tree

Comment

Dave hit the nail right on the head. Most of the important discoverys made have started with us. That is the people who walk with their eyes open. I wish that there was. or could be a better connection between the artifact collector and the profesional'.

Comment

greywolf22 wrote:

This is the type point that killed Kennewick man. Cascade Stemmed – 2 ¼”L x ¾”W - Early Archaic, 8,000-6,000 B.P. -This black Obsidian point has beautiful oblique transverse flaking – It is a rare stemmed type - Found by George Sahberg in 1960-1970 time frames at Diamond area of Hunts Place Ranch, Harney County OR.– Ex. George Sahberg / Denny Presley
                        Very interesting addition to this thread.  :cheer:

Comment

What do you guys think is the main reason that there is not a better connection between the privite collector and the profesionals? My feeling is that we hunt artifacts because we love to and every chance we get were out there looking and exploring. (They)look at artifacts and history as a job and need to be paid for their work. Several years ago while out hunting I stopped at a creek to get a drink and as I bent down I saw that there was a black fire layer about a foot thick right at the creek water level. This was a pithouse layer as it was a good foot thick in the center and rounded out to four or so inches at the outside. I pulled out several large chips and some broken knife parts. Now the neat thing about this is it was under about 15 feet of overburden. Containing layers of boulders,ash,sand and gravel. Just had to be very old site. To bad we don't have some way to let someone know when we come across such a place. O-well someone will find that site sometime. Right?

Comment

If I saw something important I would take pictures of it and forward it to the archeology department of the state university....what else can ya do.

Comment

http://www.harbornet.com/folks/theed...e/Kennewic.htm  I keep trying to get these sites on here so you can read some fun things about Kennewick man. Hope this one works as it is a fun and different view. As far as turning anything in around here that you find I have tried and they won't take the time to follow up on anything given to them. I speek in the past as have not tried for many years. Hope you can get the time to read this site it has a lot to say about Clovie man that so many of you are interested in. Thanks for the fun.    OK the site worked for me do give it a look!!!

Comment

The Kennewick man is a very interesting piece of history.  I think even more intriguing is the fact that the Army Corp or Engineers poured cement over the area he was found.  Hiding something?  I think like most modern populations, they are a conglomerate of cultures.  Take for example the Spanish language.  During a time the Moors occupied Spain.  They influenced the architecture and culture and most Spanish words that start with "a" are Arabic.  This is solid evidence that cultures mix and create new sub cultures.  Just as in the populating of the Americas, there were bands of people from many different cultures arriving at different times.  Those cultures have been morphed into what we know today.  I think some even more important finds were the Luzia woman in Brazil, dated to 11,500 years old.  Also check out La Mujer de las Palmas, she is the oldest skeletal remains in all of the Americas.  She was found in an underwater cave just off the shores of Tulum, Mexico.  Another good reading is "Pandoras Seed", by Spencer Wells.  It is a very in depth look at DNA lineage for not only North America, but also about the "out of Africa" theories as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X