Nettling Site Southwestern Ontario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nettling Site Southwestern Ontario

Nettling: an Overview of an Early Archaic “Kirk Corner-notched Cluster” Site in Southwestern Ontario

Western University, in vibrant London, Ontario, delivers an academic and student experience second to none.

Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Great read, thanks Greg. Many Kirks from up there are the same as in FL. I will continue to LUMP lol. Kirk people were successful!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

That is indeed a great read. Thanks for sharing it Greg.

I was fortunate to have had Stan Wortner qualify my Kirk corner-notched point. He was not able to identify the chert.

The point was one of a variety of lithics in a Mason jar that I purchased at an antique store in London, Ontario. Within said jar was also a scraper that has Kansas marked on it. This may therefore suggest that my Kirk is also an import.

Any thoughts on the toolstone/chert classification would be greatly appreciated. It is a very light chert in terms of weight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Nettling 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	40.4 KB ID:	284573 Click image for larger version  Name:	Nettling 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.7 KB ID:	284574
      Last edited by Hi-Lo; 02-09-2018, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Hey Greg, Thanks for the link. There is some good info in that report.
        Of course I was interested in the scraper information but the info on Ohio cherts found on the site was of special interest too: The Ohio cherts found on the site include Pipe Creek chert and Upper Mercer chert. The assemblage has a higher percentage of those Ohio cherts than any Ontario site reported to date. There are a few examples of Columbus and Flint Ridge.

Last edited by Ron Kelley; 02-09-2018, 09:19 AM.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Thanks for the research paper Greg. I see someone missed a couple of typos. They were calling corner-notched points, comer-notched. Lol
          South Dakota

Comment

I'm no expert but that piece could pass for Burlington.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Cool site report that gives a good look at a northern Kirk site! Thanks for sharing!
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I agree with you Greg. It may very well be Burlington chert. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X