Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The men who made America...frontiersman...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The men who made America...frontiersman...

History Channel has a new series that just started. The first episode is about Daniel Boone and Boonesborough. I really enjoyed it. I think this will be a great series. You KY folks should enjoy that episode as well.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Hi Frank. Thanks for the heads-up. I will check it out. Some of the History channel presentations are very good. Some of them are not accurate and play with the known facts to make the stories more entertaining. Daniel Boone's life is so drama filled that they shouldn't have to do much embellishment to make it very interesting.

Comment

I liked it as well. I still think the book the Frontiersmen should be made into a movie. DiCaprio didn’t read this book before he signed on to this or else Simon Kenton would be a main part of the show.
      Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Thanks! Didn't know, ill be watching
        Location - Eastern Massachu

Comment

Had no idea about this series, I will have to catch it on again. Would love to see it. Thanks for the heads up. Ill report back after I see it.
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Hi Guys, Lets call this article " Sailorjoe's Movie Review". LOL Last night I managed to watch a replay of the History Channel presentation about Daniel Boone that I had set up to record on my Direct TV dvr. This movie which takes up a two hour time block counting all the advertising (I had it recorded so I could fast forward thru the ads) is very bad in so many ways The story line presented was very inaccurate and spans the range from outright lies to omissions of important information of all kinds. The producers dragged out of academia some college teachers to give the Hollywood version of history some creedence and even had Gen. David Patrarus parroting their script. The scripted story was written so as to give Boonesborough major importance as a player in the Revolutionary War as if the Frontier War during the Rev. War occurred primarily in that area while it occurred from the Hudson River valley to what is now Tennessee and there were other communities in the same area that were also under attack The story takes a few snippets out of Boone's life and builds on them and doesn't even mention others likely more important. The story line also tried to make you believe that the only thing the people had to eat was meat from wild game while all the frontier settlements had agricultural fields around them. The story fails to mention in the incident of the capture of Boone and his saltmaking party the importance of Boone's adoption by the Shawnee chief Blackfish instead of ransoming to the British at Detroit and Boone slowly gaining trust until he could find an opportunity to escape as to how he was able to escape and that he rode horseback until the horse collapsed and then continued on foot. Nor does it mention that another of the prisoners who had been adopted had previously escaped. There were many more inaccuracies and misrepresentations. Therefore, it is rather curious how the writers seized on one obscure fact which showed that they really knew real history if they wanted to portray it accurately. This obscure fact is that the Shawnee had a Black former slave who acted as an interpreter in first trying to negotiate a surrender of Boone's fort. And this portrayal was inserted very quietly without mention of why he appeared in the scene. Seeing how the Boone history was butchered, I can well imagine what they will do to the lives of the other historical characters in this series. If one wants an amusing story then the others may have entertaining value but I would not recommend it if you think it will teach you American history.

Comment

I agree Joe. I have read many books about the Rev War and Daniel Boone was rarely mentioned and neither was Boonesborough. The slave that acted as an interpreter was never explained as you stated. I saw several scenes that I thought were questionable also.

Comment

I expect very poor programming from the history channel and they delivered again. I didn't watch it all, couldn't it was offputting. I predict soon you'll see more artistic license and politicized programs out of the great historians at THC...no thanks
                Location - Eastern Massachu

Comment

Ok this particular episode is a failure. However Daniel Boone has always been one of my favorites since I was a kid. Like any great American iconic legend there is more fiction than fact available. Can anyone recommend a good factual read on the subject? I read a good book recently about the real Jeremiah Johnson and although the Redford film is entertaining the real story is nowhere close to the movie.

Comment

• sailorjoe
                    sailorjoe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Frank. One I can recommend that I have in my library is titled "Daniel Boone-The Life and Legend of an American Pioneer" by John Mack Faragher. It was published in 1992 and I don't know if it is still in print. It may be available thru Amazon.com as a used copy or may be in a local library. I thought it to be an interesting read. It has a large bibliography of sources he used.

And this is why you have to watch these shows with an open mind and your knowledge .
                  Sometimes just to enjoy a walk through the area and time and fill in the blanks with your own reads .

Comment

Hi Frank. I saw the 2nd installment of this series. I didn't think any more highly of it than I did the first one. One point in its favor though is the writers did include the conflict between Crockett and Jackson. And I was glad to see that they showed some of the negative aspects of Jackson's personality. But that was sugar coated to make him seem not as bad as he was. He was a fairly unscrupulous person. The program tried to jam too much history into too short a period of time. Lewis and Clark, Tecumseh, the Creek Indian Wars. But it was entertaining to a degree, probably more so if one had no knowledge of the subjects to begin with.

Comment

• BabaORiley
                      BabaORiley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah that series has been a disappointment. As far as Old Hickory goes yes he was unscrupulous to say the least. Thomas Jefferson ever the statesman absolutely despised him. The Core of Discovery is an epic historical event as well as Tecumseh and the Creek Wars and just cant be jammed into a short segment with much accuracy. Sad thing about history is that it has been so misinterpreted over the years and in many cases just plain fabricated that the fiction has become reality. Modern forensics are beginning to shed new light and concrete evidence thought on many myths of the past.

I agree the show is geared towards folks with a casual interest in History. It hits the highspots mostly and leaves out a lot of the more nuanced detail. That's the reality of the entertainment mixed with history on the History channel. Movie production type remixes of American History. It appeals more to the instant gratification, thrill seeking types of today's generation ( I guess I'm one of those too lol). I'm fine with it though that's just the reality of the times we live in and the History Channels docudrama direction is just one of the results... If one wants to really understand these characters and what they experienced I recommend reading their autobiographies. Still interesting to watch if your looking for a quick rundown of some of these early American frontiersman though. I'm looking forward to seeing the Kit Carson episode myself.
                    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

On the third show, the most hilarious thing is that Davy Crockett was not at the major battle and that he re-enlisted again. The question is which Davy Crockett is this show portraying: the historical person or the Disney version?

Comment

• BabaORiley
                        BabaORiley commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Titan after doing some fact checks and some research on the first two installments I shelved interest in that show. Too bad because there was basis for a very good program.
                        Last edited by BabaORiley; 07-08-2018, 08:24 AM.

• Kyflintguy
                        Kyflintguy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I don't think that's Tam, Frank.

• BabaORiley
                        BabaORiley commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Ky...early morning post...musta been a little cloudy still...
                    Working...
                    X