Crenshaw, A Proud Arkie, and Havenhunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crenshaw, A Proud Arkie, and Havenhunter

I read as much as I possibly can on new information about primitive cultures. Deb recently posted an article here and shortly after I read it for the second time, I visited my Dad and he had saved an article from the Arkansas Democrat Gazette. I read it and wanted to post it on here to share, so I found the online version. I'm real proud because the story is about an Arkansas site being re-researched by the University of Arkansas, and the site it'self is particularly cool because of the unusual number of human skulls found there with no bodies attached. The science behind it is fascinating.

here's a link:http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/201...-caddo-myst-1/

Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting the link. This is the first time I've heard about that site.

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a rare thing, but it's one of those that academics have been able to keep under wraps (relatively) well for years. Those who hunt artifacts and those who are collectors always hear of these things...some of them are whispered rumors because the Archaelogists don't want the artifact hunters to find a site, and the artifact hunters don't want the archaelogists to find it either.

I know this sounds silly or made up, but I actually know people who have vehicles they bought and modified for the clandestine purpose of avoiding fellow artifact hunters. One guy has a 4Runner painted matte black with every shiny thing on it removed, all the lights routed through a master switch where they can be disabled so even the brake lights don't work, and..AND he has a set of gen three night vision goggles (the exact type the
      us military helicopter pilots used thirty years ago)
      that he wears so he can drive in the dark on back roads completely undetected.

Sounds like some redneck James Bond crap doesn't it?

Now I've heard everything! Lol!!!
    Child of the tides

Comment

It's funny you posted something about the Crenshaw Site, Miller Co., Ark. I just got an Agee point, the type associated with the Crenshaw and Kidd Sites. Glen Kizzia was very instrumental in the excavations of these sites, and he found dozens of Agee points, some in caches. There's a lot of internet information if you type in, " Glen Kizzia-Crenshaw Site, Miller Co., Ark. Here's one of the BEAUTIFUL points that he found. Many of these have Perino COAs, but some were sold privately and didn't get a COA. This one was purchased by Art Crowther around 1984. The picture is Glen Kizzia holding a Caddo engraved pottery vessel. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07765.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	297212 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07764.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	297213
      http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Paul, that's a really cool piece, and those points are phenomenal. The Caddo were apparently known for the "cache" type stashes. Several of the old pot hunter I know tell stories of finding those incised bowls half filled with beautiful points. They'd always get kinda glassy eyed when talking about them. I've seen a few, one guy has a single panel/frame with perhaps 40 points that all came from a single pot. Thanks for sharing that.👍👍👍
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
        X