Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Late Archaic Tattooists & Tool Bundle Found in TENN.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late Archaic Tattooists & Tool Bundle Found in TENN.

"Archaeologists believe that this bundle, buried at least 3,600 years ago in a Late Archaic cemetery in Tennessee, may represent the world’s oldest surviving tattoo kit."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ATTOO-kit.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	CanidTatooBundle.jpg Views:	1 Size:	95.0 KB ID:	300950
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Abdih-Hiddisch.MinatarreChief-GreatPlains.Jpeg Views:	1 Size:	59.2 KB ID:	300951

Last edited by Olden; 05-31-2018, 07:14 AM.
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Very neat. Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this Olden. Pretty neat set of tools they found. Makes me think tattoo needles are probably a lot more common in awk collections than we realize... Good stuff!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Man I would love a late archaic tattoo!
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Looks painful too!
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

You continue to bring us interesting articles to read. Many thanks. It proves that we should not always rest with old interpretations of things. I was wondering if what looks like the dozen or so claws from a predatory animal were from a necklace or part of the tool kit. Like Jay says. Looks to have been a very painful experience. The old timers were tough.

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
              OnewiththewilD commented
              Editing a comment
              I like your thought, perhaps you wore the necklace while getting the tattoo to “give you strength” to sit thru the process. Some of mine weren’t on the ticklish side, I can only imagine getting the designs incised in or jabbed in with those bones!

I think the bone tools found may be giving an incomplete picture here due to it's finer organic bits (literally) disappearing over time. The bones may have held 'ink' and something such as thorn bundles, or serrated bits that would give different effects, or wider patterns of a dye placement. I guess the bone tools could have been used as is, but would seem to me to be more the tools of scarification or torture..

Here's a few vids with 'primitive' ink tools, and some interesting cultural aspects of the art..

killing the pain by using alcohol probably wasn't always a good idea..
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Roger-Stone-Nixon-Tattoo.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	301176
            If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Working...
            X