The Dare Stones: Fact or Forgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dare Stones: Fact or Forgery

Do these inscribed stones hold clues to the fate of the lost colony of Roanoke?

Explore National Geographic. A world leader in geography, cartography and exploration.

The above article is a followup of this June 2018 National Geo look at the mystery of Roanoke:

Two decades before Jamestown, settlers arrived in what is now North Carolina. What happened to them is a mystery, but there are some clues.

Rhode Island

From what I have heard and seen they are forgeries.
    What is your opinion?
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      When I saw Scott Wolter take up their cause on America Unearthed, that alone was enough for me to dismiss them.

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      He is not the only one to do so Charlie. There is a pair of brothers who also "took up the challenge" of reveling the so called truth.

I have some hope that the first one was possibly real, but subsequent ones were forgeries, the latter all “found” by the same guy
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

So what you guys are saying is that people really try to pass off fake artifacts as authentic? That just disgusts me...my faith in mankind weakens every sunset...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Originally posted by BabaORiley View Post
        So what you guys are saying is that people really try to pass off fake artifacts as authentic? That just disgusts me...my faith in mankind weakens every sunset...
        While it does diminish the credibility of the species, for every one doing that, there are a hundred who only want the truth.👍
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Nothing tempts a fake or forger like an unsolved mystery. Forgeries are turning up daily, from prestigious museums to art gallery treasures. I believe the Lost Colony story will never be truly solved.
          Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
          X