First Arrivals to the Americas Split Into Two Groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Arrivals to the Americas Split Into Two Groups

There's a few interesting links about different topics here..

NY Times
    "Early inhabitants of the Americas split into two populations over 13,000 years ago, according to a new study of ancient DNA, and remained separated for thousands of years."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/31/s...T.nav=top-news

tunes to ponder by..

Last edited by Olden; 06-02-2018, 11:22 AM.
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Is this a different way to try and get around possible Solutrean DNA evidence found in the Florida bog bodies?
    This article seems to be stating that two totally different and distinct groups of peoples emigrated from Asia during the same time period.
    Never once having co-mingled prior to the move and also not once for many thousands of years afterwards.
    To me that hypothesis does not hold water.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Bruce, I didn't read your post until after I had posted. Thinking the same.

β€œSoon afterward, that original population split into two groups, which Dr. Scheib and her colleagues call ANC-A and ANC-B.”
    β€œAnother possibility is that the two groups came together somewhere in North America. Only later did their descendants expand through the two continents.”

I hope that someday science will be able to answer which of these two theories is factual. Another question: How does the Florida population with European ancestry fit into either scenario?
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
      Is this a different way to try and get around possible Solutrean DNA evidence found in the Florida bog bodies?
      This article seems to be stating that two totally different and distinct groups of peoples emigrated from Asia during the same time period.
      Never once having co-mingled prior to the move and also not once for many thousands of years afterwards.
      Solutrean was a technology, not a people. Plus, there has never been any DNA extracted or sequenced from a Solutrean site in Europe, so how would they know they had found it in the Americas, if they have nothing from Europe to compare it to? I read recently that none of the Windover bodies are able to yield anymore DNA. In addition, the DNA evidence at Windover was considered the weakest source of data at that site. I gotta believe, were Roger here, he would be shooting that European theory down big time. This new study will not be so easy to dismiss. We now have Naia, the girl found in the underwater Mexican cave, the Anzick child Clovis burial from Montana, and the recent children burials from Alaska(Beringia) all supporting arrival from Asia, not Europe. In addition, we know prior to arrival in Betingia, there was admixture of Eurasian Paleolithic hunters and Asians, so European Paleolithic hunters did contribute DNA to what would later be Native American populations. Which is not to say there are no annomolies or mysteries, like possible Australasian DNA in a couple of Brazilian tribes.

Rhode Island

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Also need to keep in mind that Solutrean technology dates generally 17,000-22,000 BP, long before the age of the Windover Bog burials. This gap in age is the same problem encountered(at least until older sites were found in the Delmarva and elsewhere) when drawing a connection of Solutrean to Clovis.

For Western Eurasian DNA contributions to Native American ancestry, see also this earlier thread:

Rhode Island

Comment

• Olden
        Olden commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for digging out the rich extra link Charlie - lots to see and consider there!

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        And I loved your musical selections to ponder by! Bookmarked!

For those of us who have studied post-contact NA tribal histories, tribes living within a common geographic range were often quite physically different.
      The Comanche for instance were short in stature with bandy legs. Their close neighbor, the Kiowa, were taller & lean.
      One could argue they came from a different limb on the family tree.
      Child of the tides

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        When Kennewick Man was found to be closely related to the tribes living in the area where his remains were found, yet he looked so non-Indian, the conclusion was that physical evolution had occurred after arrival in America.

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post

I finf the possibility that a Flying Spaghetti Monster randomly deposited groups of mixed diversity peoples from his interplanetary space canoe more believable than what these people are hypotheticizing....

but I'm just a simple man.πŸ˜‡
      Last edited by Jethro355; 06-02-2018, 05:54 PM.
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        🀑🀑🀑

Originally posted by Havenhunter View Post
      For those of us who have studied post-contact NA tribal histories, tribes living within a common geographic range were often quite physically different.
      The Comanche for instance were short in stature with bandy legs. Their close neighbor, the Kiowa, were taller & lean.
      One could argue they came from a different limb on the family tree.

I love this because it makes people stop and think for themselves instead of accepting what they are told...
      i am a terribly skeptical person: πŸ˜‡. I don’t even trust the mailman, because he works for the government.
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Personally, I'm convinced the Earth really is flat. I reject all authority altogether. If I ever require brain surgery, I'm going to pick somebody off the street to perform it. Down with education! Yep, we're in the Post Truth Era, and, as far as I am concerned, the Earth is flat, we never went to the moon, human civilization was initiated by beings from Zeta Reticuli, and nobody can prove I am not 100% correct. My truth is the only truth that matters.....
        Rhode Island

Comment

• Broken Arrow
          Broken Arrow commented
          Editing a comment
          I am totally a member of the CMD fan club.

man ain't contributed to global warming either.. it's 'em cats!

Click image for larger version  Name:	yhez3o2uzoz01.gif Views:	1 Size:	334.8 KB ID:	302956
        Last edited by Olden; 06-02-2018, 07:37 PM.
        If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Working...
        X