Depleted Texas Lakes Expose Ghost Towns and Graves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depleted Texas Lakes Expose Ghost Towns and Graves

The drought is exposing history. And fossils and artifacts as well, as article mentions more then 2 dozen arrested for "looting" at Lake Whitney:

Rhode Island

I went cat fishing on Lake Conroe ans the water is 6 ft down. A lot of artifacts are now being found around the lake.
    Jack

Comment

Hoss, I'm a surface hunter and it's in my best interest to be able to get to spots that produce, everything else being equal and legal. In this instance someone on another forum pointed out the lake in question is closely watched by the Corps even when the water is high and the collectors should have known better then to try. Where digging is concerned I know the archaeologists around here prefer to limit their own digging to salvage operations. The philosophy behind this is the belief that future researchers will have even better methods of extracting information from a site and for archaeologists it's all about extracting information, the artifacts themselves are just one form of information extracted. So they prefer to leave sites deemed potentially important undisturbed and extract information from sites slated to be destroyed through development, road construction, etc. And they can hold such projects up or alter them altogether if they warrent the site important enough. Few avocational collectors can extract as much info from a site as a team of interdisciplinary scientists can, and that is a big difference when the end result is ultimately destruction of the site. Now I'm getting long-winded :lol: Where these Texas collectors are concerned, probably no harm or hurt is done at all and the law may be overbearing to say the least and there are certainly more important "crimes" to be concerned about then picking up an arrowhead or fossil from a dry lake bed.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
      X