This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identity of the Green Man

The Green Man is most highly believed to have begun as a pre-Christian entity, a spirit of nature personified as a man. His earliest images have been dated long before the coming of the Christian religion, depictions dating back before the days of the Roman Empire. However, it is with the coming of the empire that his images are noted as spanning religions, as he has been found both within the empire and at its borders, and then similar versions in other far reaching cultures such as India. Despite the range in locations of artifacts of the Green Man, he is most often associated with the society of the Celts, sequestered particularly in today's Britain and France, because of the high number of images found in these regions and the stylized way in which he has been portrayed.

Content and information refered from
    Last edited by Kyflintguy; 08-07-2018, 11:08 AM.

What is your intent, posting this on this forum?
    South Dakota

Comment

Not interested in your website or its theories.
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I removed the link. I think this is spam also. Closed the thread for further moderation.
        Last edited by Kyflintguy; 08-07-2018, 11:11 AM.
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Seems like this "green man" has taken on many meanings to many different people Charlie... Imo This post was used to drag traffic back to that site I won't mention because simply visiting there would likely do irreperable harm lol. I just don't see any sense in having a discussion about a subject like this here knowing it doesn't pertain to Native America and is obviously open to alot of interpretations and the subject doesn't fit our forum under any header... I was hoping Matt would see this and make a final call on the poster who in my estimation would not fit in well here assuming they arent a bot.
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Let's post about the Great Turtle instead.......
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

I didn't see this post. But, like most of you, I don't see it relevance on this website other than to attract our membership to their website. I wasn't even halfway through reading his post when I said to myself what's this doing on here. Anyway - I think Josh has taken the appropriate action.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Originally posted by Kyflintguy View Post
              Seems like this "green man" has taken on many meanings to many different people Charlie... Imo This post was used to drag traffic back to that site I won't mention because simply visiting there would likely do irreperable harm lol. I just don't see any sense in having a discussion about a subject like this here knowing it doesn't pertain to Native America and is obviously open to alot of interpretations and the subject doesn't fit our forum under any header... I was hoping Matt would see this and make a final call on the poster who in my estimation would not fit in well here assuming they arent a bot.
              The passage seemed to be an exact quote from an article on the website "Ancient Origins". I have read good articles there, if that was the site. I did not see the link, it had already been removed. I have no problem with your decision at all. I don't know what the point of the thread was, either. Archaeology links do not have to pertain to Native American archaeology, obviously. We've had our share of stories pertaining to archaeology worldwide. But a thread about "green man" is not archaeology in any event. I don't visit "Ancient Origins" much at all, since it is not often rigorous in its presentation of alternative history. I just know the site because I like alternative history. Roger used to take me to task at times, because he could not tolerate alternative history at all, whereas I am more open minded with some of the subject matter raised by that genre. "Ancient Origins" is not as critical in its presentations as I would be, and I often pick their arguments apart on other forums. I hope you don't feel that I am disputing your call. I was not personally familiar with "green man" until I googled it, and found many articles. The subject does not pertain to archaeology, though, so it was certainly in the wrong section, and probably the wrong forum as well.
              Rhode Island

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                Kyflintguy commented
                Editing a comment
                No Charlie your comment did not bother me. It was not really the subject matter as for why I closed the link but moreso just not seeing how it fit here and the possible spam issue. I could see how the subject matter would be of interest to some. It was quite the odd choice for bringing up here considering they have many articles concerning NA on that site...
            Working...
            X