Marker trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marker trees

I had read about these in the past but tonight I stumbled on an interesting video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_qyg7fMvuU

That’s cool. I’ve always heard this....thanks for sharing.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

I know where a couple of trees like that are. One of them points straight at a spring head and is just a few hundred yards from a site that I hunt.
      Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Here’s a thread we had a few years back on the subject.

South Dakota

Comment

Very interesting , Chase and I had a discussion a month ago about these I’ll have to go back and see what he said . I think his had to do with burial .

Comment

Totally bogus. I wonder if people who buy into this have ever walked un the woods. Surely they have never used a chainsaw.

Comment

• dr socling
              dr socling commented
              Editing a comment
              This is from Wikipedia.

The trail tree known as first oak trail marker tree near Monterey, Tennessee, is one of two trail marker trees on private property near Monterey, Tennessee. The town of Monterey was originally named Standing Stone. Traditional American Indian ceremonies are still held to honor the standing stone in Monterey.[3]

The trail tree known as white oak marker tree in Traverse City, Michigan, is a traditional trail marker tree and has been protected by the people of Traverse City for decades. This tree is in Traverse City Park, one of two that stood in the park. This remaining tree has been protected by the local historians. There have been ceremonies performed at the tree and a chain link fence has been erected to protect this treasured landmark.[4]

The trail marker tree in White County, Indiana, is one of two enormous white oak trail marker trees in the county and is estimated to be over 350 years old. These trees are on private property, cared for and protected by the homeowners and assisted by the community out of respect to the Native Americans. In an article published by The Indiana Historian, September 2001, a Miami elder and teacher spoke "that there are fewer than a handful of these 'Trail Trees' left in Indiana today. These special gifts were made for our People as they journeyed to find their way back home to the loved ones in the circle. Intentionally bent, this magnificent tree still stands."[5] In regards to this historic tree, an American Indian in White County named Buffalo Heart referred to the ancient tree as "Grandfather" and recounted numerous trail marker trees throughout White County from her childhood.[6] Much of the early research in this area in Indiana was by historian Marilyn Abbott, according to Madden and Dold in the 175th anniversary of White County.[7]

Certainly does not sound bogus to me.

We did this in Boy Scouts. Figure by now any prehistoric and most historic bent signal trees would be long gone or would be huge trees with large bent branches high up.....
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4113.PNG
Views:	188
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	323712 This is a NPS sign from the Great Smokey Mountains National Park in North Carolina along an ancient trail. Guess they still do exist here or at least the NPS thinks they do? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4112.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	323711
              N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

How old would you guess that tree is?
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Sugaree
                  Sugaree commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a very old tree how old I could only guess but I'll research it. I'm thinking it could be over 200. Damaged trees have strange growth patterns. Ive read there are a few beech trees in park with ancient carvings on them but I'm skeptical about that. If you carve your initials in a tree please don't at eye level it will still be at eye level 100 years later. A branch at 2 feet above the ground will always be 2 feet above the ground. The Cherokee were removed in the 1830''s so it's possible but how do we really know it's not natural.

Marker trees.......the myth that refuses to die.

Comment

Working...
                X