Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yellowstone Icepatch Artifacts/Archaeology article (Like IceMan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellowstone Icepatch Artifacts/Archaeology article (Like IceMan)

Although archaeology has been around for centuries, “ice patch” archaeology really became a new discipline in 1991 when Otzi the Iceman - a 5,000-year-old body nearly perfectly preserved - was found high in the Italian-Austrian Alps by hikers.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

I thought it was very interesting. I guess they didn't show the body because it was human? Still, very neat.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I was talking about him. I didn't know about it until now.

• sneakygroundbuzzard
      sneakygroundbuzzard commented
      Editing a comment
      kentuckypoint,just google "otzi the ice man" lots of stuff should come up. ive read everything i can find on him,and seen every documentary i could find.very interesting. when the wife and i were at the Smithsonian many years ago,they had a display(all replicas) of his items that they found on him.
      im wanting to make a replica of his knife and sheath(but just havent found the time for it as of yet). a friend of mine made a replica of his copper axe

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I just looked him up about an hour ago. He almost looks alien. Very cool info on him.

There was no real need to focus on the issue of global warming itself in this instance, since its very clear by now that global warming is the reason we see this upsurge in ice patch archaeology. Recall the discovery of the intact atlatl recently in the Yukon Ice patches of Canada. Archaeologists are understandably taking advantage of the opportunities presented. And I guess they are well aware that time can be of the essence, since, once exposed to the elements, organics and other perishables will not survive in good condition forever.

Here's a decent video of ice patch archaeology in general. Quite a bit taking place in Glacier National Park as well, where the glaciers are melting. and, again, time is of the essence.

Rhode Island

Comment

cool video....thanks for posting it!
      Southern Connecticut

Comment

Loving these new finds Tom . Early man over here really predate many civilizations . When you think how long each one of the empires reigned and the Egyptians 13000k here give it take they had it down .
        I have this crazy thought that always goes through my mind . What if no one ever came over here for the last 700 years or less from modern times meaning only the NA were left to live and breed , become their own empire . I wonder with the mounting numbers how they would have learned to survive , the wars that would have mounted with the pressure of more people . And I mean in the 100’s of thousands with still only the Stone Age technology . How would of they grown in knowledge and technology .

Comment

Originally posted by Tam View Post
          Loving these new finds Tom . Early man over here really predate many civilizations . When you think how long each one of the empires reigned and the Egyptians 13000k here give it take they had it down .
          I have this crazy thought that always goes through my mind . What if no one ever came over here for the last 700 years or less from modern times meaning only the NA were left to live and breed , become their own empire . I wonder with the mounting numbers how they would have learned to survive , the wars that would have mounted with the pressure of more people . And I mean in the 100’s of thousands with still only the Stone Age technology . How would of they grown in knowledge and technology .
          I like those "crazy thoughts", Tam! I have thought about that so many times...
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

People are always freaking out about global warming. These places where all this is found proves that those areas were fairly much ice free in ancient times. Well yes the water will rise so we move further up the hill.. So every winter I’m looking for some warming, the cold hurts ya when ya get old. Soooo.... We the people of earth are always under duress.. What the scientist don’t tell us is the really scary stuff... Things like the moon moving away at 1.5 inches per year.. Now, that does not sound like much until they say that life on earth as we know it will not be here in 25K years...We are a Yellowstone eruption away from extinction.... Let’s just make a new type of mammoth and don’t worry about the bio hazards in the specimens...We love rocks and a few big ones coming by the earth at at speeds in which we just can’t track .Oh , and not to mention all the disease specimens that are contained and studied, and modified for grins. Einstien was a smart guy, his thoughts are scary too like WW 111 being fought with atoms and WW 1111 being fought with, you guessed it, “Stones”
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

How about the Sahara desert being green . The humid period . The poles have switched right ?
              I get lost in these family discussion here . One archeologist walks in the door and it’s a treat .
              And we all have Tom

Comment

Working...
              X