Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man is charged with illegally excavating archaeological site containing Native American remains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man is charged with illegally excavating archaeological site containing Native American remains

A Madera County man has been indicted by a federal grand jury on charges that he illegally excavated a site containing Native American remains and artifacts in the county, according to federal documents.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

What an idiot! Makes every honest collector look bad.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Good.👍
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

That guy really needs AA. Artifacts Anonymous
        SW Connecticut

Comment

There's no cure for stupid.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            You can't fix stupid!
            -Si Robertson.

My dad knew several people who went onto Gettysburg battlefield to go relic hunting, many years ago. People would metal detect at night in off limits campsites, and detect anywhere that wasn't heavily guarded. It's a shame that the moron did that. He makes us all look bad. This is why laws in some states are getting tougher and tougher on honest folks like us. It's all because of idiots like that!
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

It will probably get plead out and he'll get off with reduced charges, probation, and a big fat fine, unless he has priors. I'm surprised he cooperated so easily and turned over all of the artifacts he had on his possession.
            Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Kentucky point
              Kentucky point commented
              Editing a comment
              He probably thinks that he will get a lighter punishment if he cooperates. And he's probably right!

• Broken Arrow
              Broken Arrow commented
              Editing a comment
              Not usually true. Dealing with the police is different than dealing with the court system. There is a reason that people have a right to remain silent and that reason is because anything you say(or do) will be used against a person in court and by a prosecutor when they are bringing forth charges. From a legal bargaining standpoint, his cooperation probably made it harder on him and made the prosecutions case for them. This dummys cooperation was probably in light of the fact that someone turned him in and the authorities likely had a search warrant. I'm not condoning what he did that got him in trouble. I'm just saying I'm surprised he rolled on himself so easily.

Were there any images of the artifacts? He must have found some dandy pieces to be valued at $58k....
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

http://harrisondaily.com/news/vandal...434b16b86.html

In the 1990s, thousands of bones and bone fragments mysteriously went missing from Effigy Mounds National Monument in Iowa, the continental epicenter of Native American burial remains. In December 2015, a detective with the National Park Service tracked down the artifacts—and the man who stole them.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/apr/13/plea-guilty-in-prehistoric-shelters-dig-1/
              Last edited by tomclark; 10-25-2018, 08:50 AM.
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ve hiked that one above the Petite Jean river...there are tons of small caves and shelters up there. I found one about twenty years ago barely big enough for two or three people to crawl into. I crawled in it and lay on my back one cold winter day, and when I turned on my flashlight, I saw petroglyphs on the wall and ceiling. I was fairly certain it was unknown to the parks people, and I told a ranger on my way out. He acted like I was crazy, but I took him to it and he was truly surprised. He said he thought he knew that mountain like the back of his hand...

Really gotta keep it honest .

Comment

Working...
              X