The Windover Bog site.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Windover Bog site.

Short but interesting article about the bodies buried in the bog, their condition and what was found with them.

Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Very very interesting ! So, does this show that a Solutrean theory is back on ? I know this was after 86 but have they re- tested the dna ? And the textiles , we know the Europeans at that time made textiles...More questions than answers.. Prehaps Tom might be able to add to this ...
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Strange
      The vid said the bog people dated back 8600 years.

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, about 8600 years. Archaic Era. But the Solutrean, which was a technology, not a culture, dates back to about 22,000 years ago. That was one of the criticisms of Bradley and Stanford's suggestion that Clovis and Solutrean technology were unique and related, namely the huge time gap. As well as the lack of other Solutrean traits in the Americas. Now, sites far older then Clovis have been found in the Delmarva, and possibly even French flint at ancient sites in the Delmarva, although one such piece was found beneath a colonial fireplace, and so was rejected as possibly placed there by the colonist who built the home. The Solutrean hypothesis is not dead. I am merely pointing out ~9000 years and ~22,000 years is a huge time gap. Would a small group, like Windover, have been able to maintain genetic purity by simply breeding with each other for 13,000 years? But Windover is a mystery re the DNA, I am not suggesting otherwise.

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      With the new dna data across the Americas , I don’t see how the Solutrean theory could not be anything except extinguished . I sent several Folsom artifacts to a French professor per request years ago. Back then the theory was still being examined. As to why he made such request ? No idea !Without genetic diversity through that time span , I can’t see survival of any species. This is why I asked Greg if the brain matter had been re-tested against current dna data. A true enigma ...

Thanks for posting this .I just read a National Geographic article about the underwater graves in Florida before I clicked on your post . Good timing!
    South Carolina

Comment

A most interesting post Greg. According to the DNA testing on the brain material (the last video in the article), those people tested did not belong to the Haplogroup normally associated with Native American but were more biologically associated with European. Wonder where this will lead now? Regardless - the Windover discovery was astounding.
      Last edited by Scorpion68; 01-15-2019, 10:41 PM.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

One thing we should probably keep in mind is that sequencing the genome of the 24,000 year old Ma'lta boy from Siberia demonstrated that the ancestors of Native Americans included Western European Paleolithic hunters. So we can say that Western Eurasian genes are present in some Native Americans as a result of entry from Asia, and not necessarily ancient voyages across the Atlantic, or admixture with Europeans during the Contact era and later:

Another interesting development involved the genetic sequencing of early remains found in the Americas of skeletons that simply did not resemble present day Native Americans. Kennewick Man is the most famous such example. At first, based on physical appearance, it was suggested Kennewick Man was European, or perhaps Ainu from Japan. Yet, when genetic testing was finally permitted, the closest relatives turned out to be the tribe living closest to where his remains were found. This has also been the result of DNA sequencing of other early remains from the Americas, such as the female remains known as "Naia", 12,000 years old and found in an underwater Mexican cave:

She did not look like modern Native Americans either, but the DNA demonstrated that she clearly was related to Native Americans. All these finds served to support the notion that Native Americans experienced physical evolution after arriving in the Americas. And after spending many thousands of years in Beringia, in what is known as the Beringian Standstill before migrating south primarily by sea.

All of the above said, the Windover bog people are of great interest:

The history of the 8000 YBP Windover Archaeological Dig in Titusville Florida.
        Rhode Island

Comment

Charlie - Thanks for that information. I was wondering if Western European genetics could have entered the picture of the peoples that came via the Bering Strait. Sometimes I think we try way too hard to make the evidence fit the hypothesis. I guess as time goes on and more and more evidence, like the Windover discovery, come to light - we'll get closer to the truth of the matter. Thanks again Charlie.
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

This is cool how did I miss this .

Comment

Good story Greg!
              I guess the burials were protected well enough to keep the gators at bay.
              A closer look at some of the ancient tools found at the site..
              If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Working...
              X