Bannerstone Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bannerstone Article

Used as a counterbalance to prevent muscle strain while waiting, set and ready for deer... not to improve the throw.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Tom that is an interesting read. But I am on the fence to the actual use. There is not enough of them found for the many years they were made.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I’d love to find one...As far as I know, no one has ever found one here on the South Plains...
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Read that, an interesting theory.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

That was a good read!

Thanks

Von

Comment

Cool article Tom
            SW Connecticut

Comment

Thanks, that was a great article
              New Jersey

Comment

I recall reading this theory many years ago at Mr. Kinsella's website. I like it. Very logical and well thought out. I would differ only in thinking that the primary hunting method was organized drives, not stalking, and the need for the counter balance was so that your standers (shooters) could stand perfectly still in the ready position as the game was pushed toward them. One huge disadvantage of an atlatl is that you need to be standing upright and somewhat in the open to make a good throw. You can't crouch down and hide like with a bow. As to a lack of bannerstones in the archaeological record, keep in mind only the fancy ones turn up as recognized artifacts. When I made my first atlatl, I just lashed on a conveniently shaped stone of the right weight. If that rock was found later, no one would know it was used as a bannerstone.
                Central Virginia

Comment

I kind of feel this way about so many things Tom . We modern people just don’t have all the answers . Reading deeply into this it’s all theorist . I feel we never really know some of these answers about all the NA artifacts because we were not there and with no written language testing our ways can just go so far .
                  So all those cool little tools I pick up I sit and wonder .. who did you belong to and you certainly look like someone’s favorite piece . What did they use you for ?

Comment

I like these kind of discussions about theories etc. If we knew all the answers for sure, then it wouldn’t be any fun
                    South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                    X