Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

..Seizing thousands of artifacts from Indiana home, FBI makes "staggering" discovery... Human bones. ERMAGERD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ..Seizing thousands of artifacts from Indiana home, FBI makes "staggering" discovery... Human bones. ERMAGERD!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fbi-spe...f-human-bones/

People who read articles like this about "collectors" severely damage our image and "optics"..... I have been asked so many times about illegal activities from non-artifact people who read these articles. Has to be addressed immediately when questioned or commented on. "No I do not and do not condone it whatsoever. Not relevant or funny at all. It disturbs me that you would ask/say but I'll use this moment to educate you"

Poor old guy was from a very different time... Back in the Day many people had NA skulls on their shelves.
    Last edited by tomclark; 02-26-2019, 11:04 AM.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

It only takes one wack job to make us all look bad. I hate when something like that happens.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

He did have remorse and wanted to return those things that he knew he collected illegally....what I don't understand is collecting remains and so many....I wonder if these bones are just splintered pieces or possibly bone beads or actual bone artifacts... I kinda think he had some boxes/bins of just pieces...being a collector-junky. SMH/WTH
      Interesting turn to a 4 year old case..
      Original "bust" article:

Collection amassed over eight decades comes from the United States, Russia, Greece and other countries

Last edited by tomclark; 02-26-2019, 11:28 AM.
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

Tom, you're right that this was very common "back in the day", even amateur archaeology societies allowed members to take bones home from digs....
        Rhode Island

Comment

They were complete skulls/ skeletons etc. I won’t see it, prehaps Ethan might, a time when every artifact ever collected will become a non legal object. The people who inherit artifacts will not be able to prove they were collected in a legal manner. He knew he did wrong but had he tried to return the artifacts, he would have been charged ...I myself have seen burials blow up out of the sand, human molars and such. I’ve never picked up any piece of it, or artifact associated with it. To most archeologist , we are pot-hunters period. We may lead them to a site and from that time on we are again just pot- hunters.
          For instance , I knew Glasscock ( Midland site discoverer ) actually his son found the skull. He knew the site was special ! He did the right thing. And history records their finding, that is all. Just another pot- hunter......
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• tomclark
            tomclark commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe you are right (unfortunately) that some day there will be the most severe restrictions put on personal collecting and artifacts. It's coming to your town. Welcome to Florida.....

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Lindenmeier-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            I know folks use to dive for some of the most beautiful artifacts in Florida fresh water. Things have changed. Now , all that art / artifacts will sit there unseen, forever ! There was no archeological contex in the finds, washed out from banks prehaps thousands of years ago. I see no point in the new laws.
        Working...
        X