The Anasazi of Chaco Canyon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Anasazi of Chaco Canyon

Great 9 minute excerpt of a longer documentary.....
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

If you get PBS World Compass, it's on this evening at 9pm eastern, and here's when it's airing on other dates in January:
    WORLD™ is a 24/7, full-service, multicast channel featuring public television's signature non-fiction documentary, science, and news programming complemented by original content from emerging producers.

UPDATE: EXCERPT IS NOT FROM THE PBS WORLD NETWORK DOCUMENTARY! SORRY! SEE BELOW........
    ALSO SEE "THE MYSTERY OF CHACO CANYON" THREAD FOR A LINK TO THE COMPLETE FILM>
    Rhode Island

I saw this once before, very cool documentary. The Native flute music in the background sounds like R. Carlo Nakai.....if you've never heard him play before it's well worth a listen!....I hope someday to get out to see the South West and witness for myself the Anasazi. I'm told it is a very cool journey, both from a landscape point of view as well as spiritually.
      Charlie, don't forget to remind me to tell the story I have from my good friend that went out there!
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

cgode wrote:

I saw this once before, very cool documentary. The Native flute music in the background sounds like R. Carlo Nakai.....if you've never heard him play before it's well worth a listen!....I hope someday to get out to see the South West and witness for myself the Anasazi. I'm told it is a very cool journey, both from a landscape point of view as well as spiritually.
        Charlie, don't forget to remind me to tell the story I have from my good friend that went out there!
        Chris, everyone, the excerpt is not from the PBS World Compass documentary. Sorry about that. Had to watch the excerpt again to be absolutely sure. The doc that was on tonite and later through Jan. 11 describes the archaeoastronomy of the Chaco complex layout, the alignment of the buildings to solar and lunar cycles which required, in the case of the lunar cycles, many years to even figure out before the buildings could be so constructed. Film also shows the likelihood that Pueblo Bonito was more of a sacred space then a living village, more a place of spiritual pilgrimage. Much of the film is related by both Hopi and Zuni archaeologists with incorporating wisdom from their knowledge of their own culture, itself descendant from the Anasazi. The film describes how the Chacoan complex encorporated the earth and sky and time. Cannot recommend this program highly enough if you get a chance. Hey, JMO, but the film floored me and the intelligence required to engineer this complex was/is mindboggling.
      Chris, after watching the excerpt again, it too seems good and the flute is very soothing, just wish I did my research better :lol:  :lol: I've been out there Chris. Canyon de Chelly was my favorite, never got to Chaco Canyon. The film on PBS World shows how the Anasazi incorporated spirit and matter in their sacred architecture and I think you're spot on in seeing it that way. Put it on your bucket list, I hope to take Helen there some day. So what's your good friend's tale??
      Rhode Island

Comment

OK, folks, this is the film I'm raving about, describes it better then I can! At this link, it's The Mystery of Chaco Canyon, the Sun Dagger is a different film and also described here, but it's the Redford narrated film that is being aired through the 11th.....

Rhode Island

Comment

I'll have to make sure I catch the documentary, no question!...the excerpt above may be from PBS "500 Nations" possibly, that as well was very cool, it takes several nights to watch the entire series and was hosted by Kevin Costner.....it was very well done.
          R. Carlos Nakai is awesome with the Native American flute, I have a couple of his CD's and it is very soothing and spiritual.
          Briefly, my friend (who got me into artifact hunting a couple of years ago)was in New Mexico and somehow got permission to enter a scared part of a reservation.....past the armed guards and into an area where there was a mesa. He had quite the experience, climbing a mesa, up ladders and passing tons of ruins cut into the sides of the cliffs as well as a large ruin on top. The deal was no pictures, no picking anything up and don't break anything. His description was awesome but I would imagine the experience was ten fold!!
          Southern Connecticut

Comment

Don't know if this will work or not but let's try this.....

Dang!....it looks like it worked......sometimes I amaze myself!!
            Southern Connecticut

Comment

cgode wrote:

I'll have to make sure I catch the documentary, no question!...the excerpt above may be from PBS "500 Nations" possibly, that as well was very cool, it takes several nights to watch the entire series and was hosted by Kevin Costner.....it was very well done.
              R. Carlos Nakai is awesome with the Native American flute, I have a couple of his CD's and it is very soothing and spiritual.
              Briefly, my friend (who got me into artifact hunting a couple of years ago)was in New Mexico and somehow got permission to enter a scared part of a reservation.....past the armed guards and into an area where there was a mesa. He had quite the experience, climbing a mesa, up ladders and passing tons of ruins cut into the sides of the cliffs as well as a large ruin on top. The deal was no pictures, no picking anything up and don't break anything. His description was awesome but I would imagine the experience was ten fold!!
              I will look up Nakai as I love flute. If you've never heard of Bill Miller, great Native American musician, saw him at URI a few years ago. You would love his CD Cedar Dream Songs: Musical Portraits on the Native American Flute. He too is awesome, a privlage to meet him.
              Your friend had a special honor in a special place, the whole four corners area is a powerful experience, especially hanging out at the ruins, just hard to top.
              Rhode Island

Comment

cgode wrote:

Yep, just checked :cheer: The whole thing too. Thanks, can't watch tonite or I'll never sleep, so skyin with music and Anasazi as it is at 11:00 pm, but you can bet I will! Hope you get the World network and can see Mystery of Chaco Canyon or tape it!
                Rhode Island

Comment

cgode wrote:

Chris, just finished watching this. Excellent, thanks for finding and posting this link, and Nakai's flute was great. Looking forward to watching the other parts of this production.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Glad ya liked it Charlie, I liked the fact that they show what really happened between the white man and Native Americans......not a pretty story most of the time!
                    Southern Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                    X