The Mystery of Chaco Canyon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mystery of Chaco Canyon

This is the video I talked about in the thread "The Anasazi of Chaco Canyon" but confused with a short clip that was not related to this film. I have found a free copy online. Considering Amazon charges $40 for the DVD, free is nice. Need to click on film, then click a second time, and the film will start. Just watched a second time, so it should work this way. Best presentation of archaeoastronomy at the Chaco complex I've ever seen, narrated by Robert Redford, with significant contributions from Hopi and Zuni archaeologists.
    Will satisfy the poet and scientist, no wonder the film won so many awards.....

An entirely different interpretation of the purpose and usage of Pueblo Bonito and the vast Chacoan complex then that offered by traditional archaeologists up to this point. If true, it is one of the most astounding astronomical and engineering accomplishments of any ancient peoples anywhere, IMHO.
    Rhode Island

thank you for this one CMD i've read and seen pictures of the light dager part, had no idea of the big picture of this site, again i'm amazed at what the native poeples have mastered, when i find something i like to hold it, rub it, turn it over in my hand and try to connect to the one who made or lost it, just fun ts

Comment

Watched it this afternoon, it is absolutely mind boggling how the complex is laid out in reguards
      not only to the sun, but even more so the moon. Thanks Charlie for posting this link, now I want to get out there even more if that's possible!
      Southern Connecticut

Comment

ts and Chris, glad you enjoyed the video. Chris, I wish I had lived there when Chaco Canyon was in its' heyday!! And in a way some of those ancient places never died out. Old Oraibi, on the Hopi reservation, and Acoma, the so-called "sky city" in New Mexico are both 1000+ years old. The oldest continuously inhabited settlements in North America to my knowledge, though very few remain in Old Oraibi. At Wupatki National monument in northern Arizona, a ball court modeled after those in ancient Mesoamerica is preserved, the furthest north of such ballcourts. But Chaco Canyon is, as you say Chris, mind boggling in its' complexity.
        ts, every time you pick up an artifact, the gulf in time is erased, I enjoy that just as you do!
        Rhode Island

Comment

Been there many times over the years and love it there. Thanks for the link.
          Jack

Comment

Thanks for that link Charlie. I have seen it but will watch it again. I have been to Chaco twice. The first time several years ago was a weekday in July and there were five cars in the parking lot. The road to get there was a washboard gravel road. There are several ruins  including Kin Kletso and the Biggy, Pueblo Bonito.I hope you don't mind if I throw out a few old 35mm pics.
            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Comment

Comment

Keyhole style door. You won't see many of these.

Comment

Charlie great link! Ray those pictures are fantastic! Thanks to you both!
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks for the photos, Ray. Don't mind in the least! I had to bypass Chaco Canyon on my last trip to the region. I'm kinda glad to see that it's still tough to get to(washboard road") and not crowded. My last trip was in July as well. I had just spent 2 days at Mesa Verde and realized I could not get back to my flight home from Las Vegas and still make it to Chaco Canyon. My loss, hopefully next time.
                      Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                      X