Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America's Oldest Pet Dogs Uncovered in 10,000-Year-Old Grave in Illinois

http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Something I found and thought I'd share. Wish there was more of It to read though.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Thanks Josh, It's always refreshing when science realizes we don't have all the answers.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Thanks for that Josh. I wonder if they were wolf-like?? The teeth on that thing...😳
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshinMO View Post
          Something I found and thought I'd share. Wish there was more of It to read though.
          Here is the abstract, from which you can download the entire 70 page paper:

The domestication of dogs probably occurred in Eurasia by 16,000 years ago, with the initial peopling of the Americas potentially happening around the same time. Dogs were long thought to have accompanied the first migrations into the Americas, but conclusive evidence for Paleoindian dogs is lacking. The direct dating of two dogs from the Koster site (Greene Co., Illinois) and a newly-described dog from the Stilwell II site (Pike Co., Illinois) to between 10,190-9,630 cal BP represents the earliest evidence of domestic dogs in the Americas and individual dog burials in worldwide archaeological record. The over 4,500 year discrepancy between the timing of initial human migration into the Americas and the earliest evidence for domesticated dogs suggests either earlier dogs are going unseen or unidentified or dogs arrived later with a subsequent human migration.

Other info:

Think your pup has something in common with dogs that roamed the Americas 10,000 years ago? It may, but not in the way you think.

Abstract

Dogs were present in the Americas before the arrival of European colonists, but the origin and fate of these precontact dogs are largely unknown. We sequenced 71 mitochondrial and 7 nuclear genomes from ancient North American and Siberian dogs from time frames spanning ~9000 years. Our analysis indicates that American dogs were not derived from North American wolves. Instead, American dogs form a monophyletic lineage that likely originated in Siberia and dispersed into the Americas alongside people. After the arrival of Europeans, native American dogs almost completely disappeared, leaving a minimal genetic legacy in modern dog populations. The closest detectable extant lineage to precontact American dogs is the canine transmissible venereal tumor, a contagious cancer clone derived from an individual dog that lived up to 8000 years ago.

Rhode Island

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Lindenmeier-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            What a bad way for the early mans best friends to go.. Thanks for the link...
        Working...
        X