Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gregszybala
    replied
    Man, you live in an interesting area. Can't wait to see pictures of the old fort and the bag of gold coins you dig up at the old homestead!

Leave a comment:

• Hoss
    replied
    She is a beauty Gary. What breed is she? Live her coat very impressive looking dog.

Leave a comment:

• SDhunter
    replied
    Thanks spanky.  You're right about exploring further.  I'm really just getting
    started into all this.  It's a new hobby for me.  One thing leads to another and
    voi'la  all of a sudden you hit on something. Who knows,  the old guy
    could have had a whole bag of gold buried there. Thanks for the dog compliment.
    Gary

Leave a comment:

• spanky
    replied
    Thats some great history that needs explored better. Liked Hosses idea of metal detecting the ares you never know what was lost or thrown away. I know couple years back at a old town site we have here somebody picked up a gold coin. Bet the guy who lost it was really pissed at himself. Lot of money back then. Great pics and great lookin shorthair.

Leave a comment:

• SDhunter
    replied
    Thanks Chris.  I really enjoy her company while out looking around. 
    gary

Leave a comment:

• cgode
    replied
    Much nicer pic of the faithful companion and yes, she is a good looking dog!!

Leave a comment:

• SDhunter
    replied
    :laugh:  :laugh:   Yeah, Chris,  I thought about that when I saw it.  Didn't think
    it was the most flattering picture of my dog.  She really is a beautiful dog. 
    Here she is waiting for me to get tired of looking.   

Had to post this after the last image of her.

Leave a comment:

• cgode
    replied
    Great pics Gary, very cool to see how they lived back in the day....great snapshot of our history!
    I'm a little concerned about your one eyed dog though...pooor thing!
    Oh......wait.......that's the south bound end of a north bound dog.......never mind!   :laugh:  :whistle:

Leave a comment:

• rmartin
    replied
    [QUOTE]Hoss wrote:

Originally posted by SDhunter post=37766
    Greg
      ps.  I went to google maps,  and knowing just where to look,  I was amazed to see that the wagonroute could be seen by satellite.
      I have been using Google maps for a few years and here is a great article I read last year about it's use by professional archaeologists http://www.archaeolife.blogspot.com/...gle-earth.html
      I think it is facsinating the trail can be seen from satellite. I have used Google and back in the old days Terraserver with success. It is a very good tool, I'm surprised it took the Pros so long to figure it out LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Hoss
    replied
    SDhunter wrote:

Greg
      ps.  I went to google maps,  and knowing just where to look,  I was amazed to see that the wagonroute could be seen by satellite.
      I have been using Google maps for a few years and here is a great article I read last year about it's use by professional archaeologists http://www.archaeolife.blogspot.com/...gle-earth.html

Leave a comment:

• SDhunter
    replied
    Thanks Hoss,  Yes,  that would be a good idea.  Got a new machine,  so should
    go next summer.

Leave a comment:

• Hoss
    replied
    Very cool thread Gary love that shelter they made there. I would love to look around there with a metal detector.

Leave a comment:

• SDhunter
    replied
    Chris,
    We ran out of time that day,  so didn't get to the trading post,  but
    wished we had now, to complete this little story.  I planned on going
    back there this weekend to see the post,  and hunt for points,  but now
    that it snowed,  not sure.  Maybe will go look at the post anyway,  so stay tuned.
    We did however go and look at an old settlers house that he built out of rocks in the bank
    of a small hill next to a slough way out in the middle of nowhere.  He covered it with dirt after
    laying the ceiling,  and you can be right on top of it without even knowing it.  I've got pictures of
    that.  Part of the ceiling has collapsed,  but got enough left to get an idea. 

This first picture shows my dog going in to make sure there are no coyotes inside.  The ground
    she is walking on,  is the caved in portion of the house.  You can see the ceiling of what is left.

This pic above,  is me sitting on the floor and looking at the south wall at the room's window.  It's just a shaft that goes up to the ground level.  The picture following is the window shaft, looking up it.

This next picture is taken just getting into the room and shows the back, (west) wall where the
    fireplace can be seen.

The next picture is looking back out where the ceiling had collapsed,  view from inside room.

The last picture is a picture of the window shaft from the outside.  I think it was just covered up
    with a rock when he wanted it shut.

Quite the way some of the oldtimers lived.  They lived just to survive
      gary

Leave a comment:

• cgode
    replied
    Cool history Gary, any pictures of the trading post ruins? That would be cool to see I think.

Leave a comment:

• gregszybala
    replied
    Thanks Gary, love the history of the west.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X