Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SDhunter wrote:

Greg
      ps.  I went to google maps,  and knowing just where to look,  I was amazed to see that the wagonroute could be seen by satellite.
      I have been using Google maps for a few years and here is a great article I read last year about it's use by professional archaeologists http://www.archaeolife.blogspot.com/...gle-earth.html
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

[QUOTE]Hoss wrote:

Originally posted by SDhunter post=37766
      Greg
        ps.  I went to google maps,  and knowing just where to look,  I was amazed to see that the wagonroute could be seen by satellite.
        I have been using Google maps for a few years and here is a great article I read last year about it's use by professional archaeologists http://www.archaeolife.blogspot.com/...gle-earth.html
        I think it is facsinating the trail can be seen from satellite. I have used Google and back in the old days Terraserver with success. It is a very good tool, I'm surprised it took the Pros so long to figure it out LOL.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Great pics Gary, very cool to see how they lived back in the day....great snapshot of our history!
        I'm a little concerned about your one eyed dog though...pooor thing!
        Oh......wait.......that's the south bound end of a north bound dog.......never mind!   :laugh:  :whistle:
        Southern Connecticut

Comment

:laugh:  :laugh:   Yeah, Chris,  I thought about that when I saw it.  Didn't think
          it was the most flattering picture of my dog.  She really is a beautiful dog. 
          Here she is waiting for me to get tired of looking.   

Had to post this after the last image of her.
          South Dakota

Comment

Much nicer pic of the faithful companion and yes, she is a good looking dog!!
            Southern Connecticut

Comment

Thanks Chris.  I really enjoy her company while out looking around. 
              gary
              South Dakota

Comment

Thats some great history that needs explored better. Liked Hosses idea of metal detecting the ares you never know what was lost or thrown away. I know couple years back at a old town site we have here somebody picked up a gold coin. Bet the guy who lost it was really pissed at himself. Lot of money back then. Great pics and great lookin shorthair.

Comment

Thanks spanky.  You're right about exploring further.  I'm really just getting
                  started into all this.  It's a new hobby for me.  One thing leads to another and
                  voi'la  all of a sudden you hit on something. Who knows,  the old guy
                  could have had a whole bag of gold buried there. Thanks for the dog compliment.
                  Gary
                  South Dakota

Comment

She is a beauty Gary. What breed is she? Live her coat very impressive looking dog.
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Man, you live in an interesting area. Can't wait to see pictures of the old fort and the bag of gold coins you dig up at the old homestead!
                      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I hope you get to use your new metal detector. Mine has 3 levels on it for metals. I went about a month ago where I have permission and forgot to put it on all 3  . I was only on one level and it started to rain so I left. I still have to go back yet and do it again to make sure I didnt miss anything. The owner says I can dig if I hit a hot spot which I hit a few but didnt dig cause I want him to be there, just out of respect seeing it is his property and its kinda close to his house but on the river bank. He has told me that there use to be an old rail road that went through his property before there was roads for driving. I hope to go back in the next few weeks.

Comment

Thanks Hoss
                          She's a German Shorthaired Pointer.  They come in solid liver,  liver ticked,(which is what she is),  liver ticked and patched, (big spots as well),  black,  and liver and white.    Gary
                          South Dakota

Comment

Greg, Thanks.  Well you can count on the trading post pictures in the near future,  and we can all hope for the coins.   
                            Gary
                            South Dakota

Comment

Itwasluck.  Bummer about the rain messing things up.  I bought a White from advice
                              I got here.  It has the 3 different modes as well.  Gonna set mine on GOLD!!!
                              Gary
                              South Dakota

Comment

Dont forget iron! Riffles are iron. They can be worth the price of gold. Good Luck and I hope you find some thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X