Michigan mammoth with tools found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan mammoth with tools found

So I can't get the link to copy over on my phone. I'll try again at home but it's a pretty good read if you look up "Michigan mammoth found". When I first started reading it I was thinking I would love to walk that field, then the article mention human involvement. I wasn't suprised.
    Central Ohio

I'm thinking this is what you're referring to:

Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks CMD. That's it. Looks like it was last month, sorry if anyone posted it already, just popped up in my news feed.
      Central Ohio

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't recall hearing about it at the time, thanks for bringing it up.

That would be the find of a lifetime. Very interesting.
      South Carolina

Comment

Awesome find!!
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

I'm amazed at how well it was preserved. I'm wondering what the soil conditions are now compared with when it was killed. Seems like it would have decayed completely or almost so in most situations here in the Lower 48. Seems like when mammoths are found with hair on them that they have been recovered from areas that have permafrost such as in Siberia and northern Alaska and Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by sailorjoe View Post
            I'm amazed at how well it was preserved. I'm wondering what the soil conditions are now compared with when it was killed. Seems like it would have decayed completely or almost so in most situations here in the Lower 48. Seems like when mammoths are found with hair on them that they have been recovered from areas that have permafrost such as in Siberia and northern Alaska and Canada.
            The well preserved specimen seen in the link I posted is in fact from Siberia.

Rhode Island

Comment

Would certainly be exciting to find
              South Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post

The well preserved specimen seen in the link I posted is in fact from Siberia.
                Thanks Charlie. If I had read more closely perhaps I wouldn't have asked a dumb question.

Comment

• CMD
                  CMD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It threw me off at first, too.
              Working...
              X