Cahokia: America's Forgotten City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cahokia: America's Forgotten City

From the text: "Even now, the idea of an Indian city runs so contrary to American notions of Indian life that we can't seem to absorb it, and perhaps it's this cognitive dissonance that has led us to collectively ignore Cahokia's very existance."
    Well, most artifact collectors are aware of Cahokia, even if most Americans outside St. Louis are not.
    Good feature article in the Jan. online edition of National Geographic. First published in Jan. 2011.
    Explore National Geographic. A world leader in geography, cartography and exploration.

Rhode Island

Thank you sir,

Comment

I have never visited Cahokia but it is on my list. I have visited the four corners area a lot over my life time and have climbed into a lot of ruins in the area. Its a special place and I love being there. I think Chokia would be the same to me.
      Thanks for the post.
      Jack

Comment

Thanks for the link Charlie. I have been to Cahokia many times and never get tired of it. The destruction of the Powell Mound was a real tragedy. The owner offered the state time and money to excavate which they declined. He then started on the back side with a steam shovel and soon it was gone. I have heard stories of local collectors hanging around during the leveling, salvaging what they could. The stockyard Site, which is being excavated for the bridge construction reportedly has remnants of 500 dwellings.
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

rmartin wrote:

Thanks for the link Charlie. I have been to Cahokia many times and never get tired of it. The destruction of the Powell Mound was a real tragedy. The owner offered the state time and money to excavate which they declined. He then started on the back side with a steam shovel and soon it was gone. I have heard stories of local collectors hanging around during the leveling, salvaging what they could. The stockyard Site, which is being excavated for the bridge construction reportedly has remnants of 500 dwellings.
            I've never had the pleasure of visiting Cahokia. I probably should be surprised anything at all is left.
          There was a long report in Science magazine recently regarding the bridge construction discoveries you mention, Ray, and here's a brief synopsis:

Rhode Island

Comment

Hate to sound like a travel guide here but the Collinsville show is in early March. It is one of the Best shows in the country and the Convention Center is 10 minutes from Monks Mound! Thanks for the link Charlie. It is too late now, but I will try to get some pics up tommorrow of the place. There are some incredible mounds there  besides the big one. The scope of this place is just amazing, some estimate 20,000 people lived there. The Museum is also very well done with some real highlights. One note, I have read that less than 5% of it have been excavated.

Comment

Ray, looking forward to seeing your own photos of the place. Jack, I'm with you on the Four Corners region as well. I regard it as a very special place and I hope to take my wife there someday so she can experience it as well. And maybe Cahokia while we're at it!
              Rhode Island

Comment

A view of Monks Mound from the central plaza. When I first visited here in the early 60's as a youngster there were houses on both sides of this old road.

Comment

Comment

Comment

View from the top of Monks Mound

Comment

Part of the Grossmann Celt Cache. It is one of the largest caches found. It included 70 celts, the largest is 18 inches and 25 lbs. It takes three display cases to show them. These were found near O'Fallon, Il. near Cahokia.

Comment

Dang, thanks Ray, gotta put Cahokia on my bucket list.
                          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks very much, Ray. What it must have been like standing atop Monks Mound in its' heyday! And that's some cache. I like the photos at the back of the display showing them still in the ground. 18" and 25 lbs!!
                            Wow!
                            Rhode Island

Comment

Here is another case of the Grossmann Cache.

Comment

Working...
                              X