Cerutti Mastodon Site/CA article Academia.edu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cerutti Mastodon Site/CA article Academia.edu

In a 2017 article, Holen and colleagues reported evidence for a 130 000-year-old archaeological site in California. Acceptance of the site would overturn current understanding of global human migrations. The authors here consider Holen et al.'s
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Maybe because I'm amenable to "outside the box" ideas, but I was impressed when I heard Dr. Holen's presentation at a Neara conference a couple years back, as described on page 2 of this older thread:

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...ears-ago/page2

Recently, I had a conversation with one of the Cerutti site investigators, regarding a recent paper that claimed the mastodon bones were in fact shattered by heavy construction equipment driving over their burial site prior to any excavation. We both agreed it was obvious that particular paper had not even looked at the original study, which clearly demonstrated the differences in breakage patterns that would result from construction equipment breaking fossilized, i.e., mineralized, bones, and hamnerstones shattering mastodon bones that were not yet fossilized.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks, as usual, Tom. The academic side of our world rarely gets out to the public, and for the non-affiliated, it’s hard to even find. I enjoy it more than reading about who blew up what or “orange man bad” crap in the papers. Thanks again, for keeping us in the loop.👍👍👍
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

I've been following this since it first started making news. I'm still highly sceptical of the dates and "stone tools" . Admittedly I'm going only off of what I've read, but some of the tools look like nothing more than unaltered rocks, its on a the coast and a hill where gravity, weather, and large floods could have compromised the strata multiple times over the years, leaves me not convinced considering the extreme dates quoted.
        Central Ohio

Comment

Still a stretch.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
          X