Online Maps, Google Earth and other mapping resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Maps, Google Earth and other mapping resources

I've been reading The Paleoindian and Early Archaic Southeast and I'm trying to find maps of the area that can be manipulated. Google Earth and Google Maps are great but I'm trying to find different ways to view the landscapes. Is Google Earth/Maps all we have? This may need to be moved to different subtopic.

Are you trying to see elevation change from an aerial view?
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Welcome to the site.
      Manipulated in what way? There are historical, topo, geological, watershed and other maps available on line.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I'm basically talking about mapping software besides Google Earth.

Comment

I heard of one a while back that was being used to find ancient mounds etc...it was some kind of laser topo that could distinguish unnatural/manmade shares on the earths surface and welcome to the site.
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

At present, the most advanced and most revealing way of viewing landscapes obscured by forests, etc., is Lidar. Not sure if you can get lidar imagery for the area you're interested in, but here is some info:

We have written about the USGS data portal NationalMap numerous times in this blog and in our book, but since the site keeps getting enhanced, a re-examination of the site is warranted.  One of the…
            Rhode Island

Comment

I've had a some success with google maps at it's closest arial view.

I have used it to survey creek courses and identify beaches and other features.

This way I've saved myself some pointless exploration.

Also, being out West, we have parched out grass for large parts of the year.

That can be useful as it sometimes reveals the traces of underlying conditions.

Grass might grow a little thicker over an old fire pit due to fertilization of charcoal and ash.

Or maybe it's a little sparse were it's rooted over an old compacted floor.

I was able to locate a NA campsite consisting of three houses this way.

I had an approximate location based on a cultural survey I managed to get hold of.

Armed with that info, I slowly examined the area with google at it's closest view.

I knew I was looking for foundations of three structures (two dwellings and a dance house) and in not too much time I had spotted it them from the air.

They are on property that I don't have permission to explore so I have to be happy with just knowing they are there.

But using technology to hunt archaeology from your arm chair is quite satisfying in itself.

It was a real buzz to see those three oval shadows in the grass.

Of course it's all dependant on when Google does it's imaging.

When fields are green it's harder to read the landscape, I've found.

I imagine you can view geoglyphs with it too.....

California

Comment

I've used an app called us topo before and it was pretty good. I've also used the usgs quadrants maps before with some success.
                Last edited by Broken Arrow; 06-26-2019, 04:26 AM.
                Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

I upgraded to Google Earth Pro , which used to cost several hundred bucks but is now free.

I've mapped my sites and appreciate the extra features.

It's powerful software that has a lot of practical uses for me.

I can survey much better thanks to the more detailed quasi-3D imaging.

Also fold in all kinds of data including photos and statistics.

Another cool feature is being able to view older imaging,

Here are some pics for example...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Archaeology Map Lithic .jpg
Views:	157
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	377062

Here's a close up of a site in three time periods. I chose it as you can see the change in color of the earth that distinguishes the site.

Name:	Archaeology Map Lithic scatter.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	377063

Present view

Name:	Archaeology Map Lithic scatter 2006.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	377064 2006 view