Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neanderthal Birch Bark Tar Adhesive.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neanderthal Birch Bark Tar Adhesive.....

Neanderthals and other early humans produced a tarry glue from birch bark; this was long considered proof of a high level of cognitive and cultural development. Researchers had long believed that birch tar—used by the Neanderthals to make tools—could only be created through a complex process in which the bark had to be heated in the absence of air.

I disagree that these findings do not indicate a high level of behavioral and cultural "development" in Neanderthals just because scientists have found that the process of making tar adhesive is actually quite simple.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Thanks Tom, I have lots of Birch and might try making some glue. The article says nothing about mixing anything with the birch tar. When we make Pine Pitch glue we mix in charcoal and fiber.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I doubt that the folks coming to that conclusion would live over 2 weeks if they were cast back in time about a hundred thousand years.....
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Interesting read. I had heard this process was considered the first "industrial product " ever made by man, even if it's not by modern man. I would think that term still holds true even if it's not as complicated of a procedure to produce.
        Central Ohio

Comment

Neanderthals were around for a really long time and their DNA is still here. Such success and being dumb as a rock just doesn’t make any sense.

Von

Comment

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree Bryan, The average person has about 2% Neanderthal DNA.

• Von
            Von commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe all modern humans carry quite a bit of archaic DNA. It’s hard to tell how much because people honestly just don’t want to know.

Von
        Working...
        X