Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why We Walk

Why We Walk?

A question likely posed by those around us in our homes and workplace who do not understand our passion. Though the list of arrowhead and artifact advantages is a long one, which do you tend to highlight?

Personally, I find the pull of honoring and discovering a tool a fellow hunter used to hunt a strong one. To think I not only share the same hunting ground, I am the first human to have picked up the point in thousands of years!

Looking forward to your insights.

Flint
    northwestern Pennsylvania

For me it's honoring my ancestors
    Attached Files
    San Luis Valley, southern Colorado

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      I love that circle !

• Rio Del Norte
      Rio Del Norte commented
      Editing a comment
      Cherokee style medicine wheel, 28 stones of the inner circle represent the sacred animals/things they honored.

I like history and for me, part of the reason I hunt, is that it takes you back in time when you find an ancient artifact.
    South Dakota

Comment

Out of my collection that resides in custom cases, boxes of tools and broken artifacts, many people have asked me Which is my favorite artifact...my answer is always the same. My favorite is the next one I find! I think for many of us it has passed obsession and gone straight to addiction. When I'm out hunting nothing seems to bother me I.E. hurting feet or back, migraines or kidney stones! We walk because we want to cover as much ground as we can, because walking is what feeds our passion! Only steps can bring us success!
      North Carolina

Comment

• pkfrey
        pkfrey commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are the two words that SHOULD NOT be in the artifact hobby. Obsession and addiction. But only aimed at the collector who is buying a lot of artifacts. If a person is solely a surface hunter, they rarely get past the passion part. There are four different mental states in this hobby. Being satisfied and enjoying every artifact you find, then becoming passionate, that's when you start doing research in depth, and then comes obsession. Obsession is when your wife is telling you about her day, and the only words you heard were, well, none actually. Your mind is on rearranging a case of artifacts. But then you finally cross over and become addicted. This is where the collector will go to the flea market and is actually suffering from clinical depression if he doesn't get his " fix ", another artifact. Obsessed and addicted collectors are the ones buying the crap off ebay, and they think, if it's big and beautiful, I want it, being authentic is second priority. Artifacts are remnants left behind from the past, and should thoroughly be enjoyed, and researched to learn about the ancient and primitive cultures. They should not be collected for bragging rights, which is why people will pay tens of thousands of dollars for a single piece. It's not the artifact anymore, it's bragging rights. I collect for shear enjoyment, satisfaction, being able to learn about lithics, ancient flaking skills, the cultures who made these, and to research and try and answer so many of the questions, What is it. What was it used for. How did they make. How old is it. Lately, in the last ten years or so, I find myself looking at other collections, and the collector can't take a single artifact and talk for at least ten minutes about it. The learning and experience has taken a huge curve, and it seems less and less people want to take the time and effort to educate themselves on what they are collecting. I pick on ebay, like we all do, and the bogus COA business, but it's a complete lack of knowledge that feeds these business's. Not picking on anyone in particular, just generalizing the trend in this hobby.

• utilized flake
        utilized flake commented
        Editing a comment
        Potato potAto... I was just stating that I'm consumed by NA artifacts...love em! since finding my first point on my own at 5. After self learning for 20 years about the subject I've come to realize that the knowledge and the passion for it outweighs the value of my sharp rocks, I would prefer a broken unidentifiable point that is a personal find over some g 10 point that was purchased. My past purchases have been from people who don't know about artifacts. I wouldn't buy from the internet or from someone who knows as much... or more than I do about the subject. I don't sell any of my acquisitions or finds, but one can go to just about any show and fill cases with whatever their heart desires... Me I'd rather buy a Hothem, Bennett, or Fogelman book! The steps though, the walking is what feeds me! Hope for another point or tool, flake or sherd. And yes I'm consumed, obsessed, and addicted to recovering or hoarding items from the past! Always will be!
        Last edited by utilized flake; 09-15-2019, 12:43 PM.

Nothing like making that arch across time. Also, I’m jealous of NA simpler times even though we have modern devices .. Actually I hate my cell phones. Instant access gives way to instance responses , good in some ways but very stressful.
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Every piece I find I see it as a gift. I like getting those gifts cause most people can’t see what I do they just walk right past them stepping on them and not even knowing it.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

It's very addicting. I enjoy reading about NA history and finding artifacts is like holding history in your hands.
          South Carolina

Comment

It’s a connection to the past. For most of us, it’s the only one available.
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

It’s almost magical. How else can transportation through time and space happen? It is magical....
              Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Great answers!
                A very reflective group...

Flint
                northwestern Pennsylvania

Comment

It’s in our DNA. I watched our youngest grandson as soon as he could scoot around out back 1year old -He’d pick up Rocks. He was particularly attracted to unusual ones. He’d hand me one and I’d look at it and🧐I’ll be!!!! that’s the only rock like it in that garden area-unusual Color or shape usually. I was the same way. Our ancestral connection to Earth. Love of Outdoors/History and my American Indian heritage plays huge part.

Comment

• Cecilia
                    Cecilia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Amen
                Working...
                X