Paleo site discovered in Avon Connecticut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo site discovered in Avon Connecticut

Nothing we can do about the ads in the article but it is good news for southern New England. This article was recently published in the Hartford Courant , a great discovery for Connecticut. I will be interested to see the info once it makes it into a Bulletin. Enjoy. https://www.courant.com/community/av...b-CJ-cGia_6vug
    Last edited by Hoss; 12-11-2019, 08:31 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Hey Matt, That is a great discovery. I sure would like to see more of the artifacts.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too Not sure if they hide the good artifacts on purpose but I sure would like to see a nice clovis or even a broke one.

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s right Matt, why are they not showing ?

They are being stingy with the finds, not showing darn it....
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      They just darn lucky that the construction worker/ workers were observant !

Scroll side to side on the image panel for photos of the artifacts....

Click image for larger version

Name:	21A9756F-2B12-4CB9-A60A-752D3DACA4A0-12212-000003ECBA332694.png
Views:	294
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	408995

Rhode Island

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Good info Charlie. At least I see a couple pieces

Thanks Charlie, I had seen those photos but they found over 15,000 artifacts.
    Michigan Yooper

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
      Thanks Charlie, I had seen those photos but they found over 15,000 artifacts.
      Oh, OK, well Hoss said he'd be satisfied with a photo of a broken fluted point, so I obliged, lol.

I'm not sure reporters writing or archaeologists talking are necessarily thinking "everyone wants to see photos", though, obviously, non collectors might be just as interested as collectors in seeing artifacts from the dig. As far as the number of artifacts found, we might also keep in mind that at professional digs, all flakes are counted as artifacts. So, of those 15,000 artifacts, 14,900 might be flakes, lol.. Of course, I do not know the exact number that were merely flakes, but I think we can say with confidence, that if they are claiming 15,000 artifacts, most all of them will be flakes.

I did not read Hoss's original article link, but it's also possible the photos I found are the best things they found. Were there any complete points? The base of a fluted point, and a graver tool are logical photo choices from a Paleo site, and I can understand why the researchers might select those to photograph.

Rhode Island

Comment

Would love to hang around there for awhile.
        South Dakota

Comment

Same photos here, just bigger. The Daily Mail is good at photo journalism....

Archaeologists found 15,000 artifacts and living areas in an ancient site that dates back 12,500 years. Located in Connecticut, it was home to southern New England's earliest inhabitants.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks for the additional links Charl
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

OK I'm just surprised that the didn't find more while spending $14,700,000 on the project.
              Michigan Yooper

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
                OK I'm just surprised that the didn't find more while spending $14,700,000 on the project.
                Not sure what you mean, Ron. The 14 million + was for the actual construction project, no? They were doing that project regardless if any archaeological discovery got in the way. I'm probably just misunderstanding what you're saying, though, and apologize if you're going right over my head.

From the article link with video: "As for the construction, the DOT originally projected cost of the project around $14 million, with 80% federal and 20% state funding. An estimated $500,000 was added to ensure a thorough processing of the archeological site."

Anyway, just as an aside, anytime federal funds are used for any project that involves turning over dirt, an archaeological survey has to be conducted first, in the event anything important enough to investigate is found. I know here in RI, at any such construction site, a representative of the Narragansett must also be present during the work, and that rep can halt work immediately if he sees something turn up that indicates a site is present.

I'll tell you a true story that happened here in RI. For years, a sewer installation project was held up, for a very long time, because archaeologists concluded they needed to thoroughly investigate what they felt was an important site. People lost patience. I remember comments like: "we find the same arrowheads on our properties all the time. Will you please install the sewers!!" Well, eventually installation resumed. At a particular site, along a river, I know the approximate location, workers uncovered an intact dugout canoe. The foreman knew this might cause still another delay. His orders: dig a deep hole and bury the dugout. And don't say anything!! To the best of my knowledge, that dugout is still buried in that spot, with the archaeologists being none the wiser.

Rhode Island

Comment

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A while back, was in Athens, Greece when subway system overhauled. Had to shut down coz found a bunch of artifacts, including kids’ toys. Think now in beautiful huge museum cases in SUBWAY Station!

I saw this on google and was going to share but looks like hoss beat me to it.....15000 artifacts found....6 feet underground......no tellling how much stuff is out there waiting to be discovered..11000 to 13000 yrs old.....for all we know.....early inhabitants could have been in the americas longer than we suspect
                Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Benji, coupla yrs ago, Topper dug up some more, and stuff found predating Clovis( >13,000 yrs ago!). Also,Stallings Island supposedly home to people that long as well. (So how come I don’t have more artifacts if live with miles both sites!?)

• Benji
                  Benji commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not sure Cecilia....maybe rent a backhoe and get to digging

Nice article .. I always wonder what’s under manhattan ?
                or actually any of those old cities when no one cared about artifacts and turned their head . One day .

Comment

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  One of first old books got me interested about archeological digs Manhattan. I remember shell artifacts, and dog bones found of some eaten and others buried with dead masters and children as apparently beloved pets. There was ceremony archeologists called White Dog. I imagined the peoples’ lives, and stuck with me 25 yrs.
              Working...
              X