Cahokia Mounds Needs Our VOTES!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cahokia Mounds Needs Our VOTES!

Folk's The Cahokia Mound's site in Collinsville, Illinois is trying to secure lands for the site which are still un-protected. They have a chance at a 50K grant thru the Pepsi Company. You can vote once a day and I'll try and insert all the link's in this entry. VOTE - IT'S EASY AND PLEASE LET FRIENDS AND FAMILY KNOW ABOUT THIS!! Voting ends on April 30th and sadly I was just made aware of this tonight!
    Link: www.refresheverything.com/savecahokiamounds

In my oppinion I would rather see the lands around there stay private then go to the state. I don't understand how they think they can go and buy mroe land with all the buget cuts they are doing, they laid off a bunch of the museums staff. Why let them secure more land when they allready have 100s of acres around there that will never be able to be hunted by collectors and just get either flooded or let it grow up in lay out ground.

Comment

Or maybe have a Walmart built on it...

Comment

What would be a better idea is all of us pitch in some $ and buy the land for ourselves.

Comment

Dont let them convience you that the ground around there will be bought up for residential or comercial. One if any human remains or any archeoligical site are found they have to stop construction. I can gaurentee you that Wallmart wouldn't go anywhere near that with a 10 ft pole, you can imagine all the media hype if Wallmart or any other business built their building on top of burial mounds.

Comment

Yeh I know - maybe Walmart wasnt the right verbage here
            But I really enjoy visiting the museum and hope my kids - kids will be able to enjoy it for years to come..
            And like you say the could use the cash - remeber this is Non Proffit organization with free admission and a donation box ..

Comment

Well the site is a federal park so it won't ever be closed but they can do buget cuts like they are doing currently. I was talking to some of the staff there and they told me about all the people that has lost their jobs there do to the buget cuts. They used to offer a guided tour and they stoped doing that do the cuts and replaced it with an audio tour that you put on headphones and walk around the park yourself.

Comment

ok - Back to the topic here.. I feel it's worth it.. Michael - thanks for your input

Comment

Gredat Topic.
                  Does anyone know what they are really going to with the surrounding land if it is purchased? Are they going to excavate it or just let it go undisturbed?
                  And what is the Pepsi Companys interest in granting 50k for this? Is it just for advertisement?
                  Also, I figure land values are probably a lot higher in the farmland around the River, and I know that $50k will not buy that big of a piece of land around here. Is there other funding, or is this all that they have to work with?
                  Are the farmers surrounding the mounds willing to sale, or are they going to add to the disgruntled farmers towards artifact collecting because their land has been "seized" from them by the government?
                  Just curious. Justin McMinn

Comment

Justin,
                    Use the link I posted in the starter post and it is explained in detail..

Comment

Not much farmland around the mounds anymore, mainly old houses and older trailers. Some of the houses have small mounds fenced in around their homes trying to protect them.

Comment

Working...
                      X