Quartzite knapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quartzite knapping

Some years ago I did a talk and demo on quartzite knapping for the local chapter of the Archaeological Society of Virginia. I subsequently wrote down what I talked about, adding some to it. I kind of forgot about it until the Thunderridge knap-in last October when a guy said I should write down what I know about quartzite and I told him I already did. It needed some putting together, which I did and sent it to him. Then I decided to dump it on the internet in case anyone else wants to look at it.

https://www.academia.edu/41661834/Obser ... _Quartzite
    Central Virginia

Wow great article! thanks

Comment

That’s a interesting writ ! I’m ( Knots)going to take up that hobby because I don’t have (elasticity )in my fingers !But if I were to take up the hobby of knapping #5 materials, I’d definitely need to read ! Thanks
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Hey Keith, That is an interesting read. You have put into words many things that I have experienced. There is a great difference in various Quartzites. When I tried to knap some of my local quartzite I was convinced that I couldn't do it. Since that time I have knapped many different quartzites with a variety of ease.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Going to read this because I never find any quartzite points in Georgia only tools .

Comment

I honestly thought you and Pete were the same person. That's cool that two of you actually like breaking that rock!

I appreciate the passion that goes into figuring something out simply because it's there and you can.
            Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
            X